Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(05-11-2022, 08:22 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I think we have reached the point where we hear of another 40 storey tower coming to Kitchener and nobody bats and eye. That’s 7 over 40 storeys coming down the pipeline

My main reaction is to wonder how ugly the podium is going to be ...

(05-12-2022, 10:03 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 08:22 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I think we have reached the point where we hear of another 40 storey tower coming to Kitchener and nobody bats and eye. That’s 7 over 40 storeys coming down the pipeline

My main reaction is to wonder how ugly the podium is going to be ...

Without seeing anything I have a feeling it will be the nicest of the three on the lock considering it’s comparing to One Victoria and a SRM/IN8 project.
I'm sure they'll all look like utter shit, especially because inflation is out of control. I suspect we'll start to see developers changing plans or scaling back designs due to the cost of materials and, increasingly, labour.
(05-12-2022, 09:41 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Proposing a 44 storey multiple dwelling - 26 Charles St West. This is IN8s third location as was discussed earlier in this thread.

https://app2.kitchener.ca/appdocs/openda...e_Plan.csv

I’m not sure how this parcel is zoned so I’m not sure if we will get documents. I guess we can make a thread for this one and 88 Queen when we get some renders? If anyone want to make the threads go for it!

Zoned commercial D-1. Maximum FSR is 2.0 so at 40 stories the building footprint would be only about 95 m^2 or about 1000 sqft. I doubt IN8 is planning anything that slender, so they'll need to bring it to council and negotiate the variances.
(05-12-2022, 09:41 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Proposing a 44 storey multiple dwelling - 26 Charles St West. This is IN8s third location as was discussed earlier in this thread.

I’m not sure how this parcel is zoned so I’m not sure if we will get documents. I guess we can make a thread for this one and 88 Queen when we get some renders? If anyone want to make the threads go for it!

Two large trailers are in the parking lot, one pointing to each of the two North buildings. Perhaps being emptied out now?

Is Google not still the owner of 27 Gaukel? It seems odd if they would still have stuff in 26 Charles W if the ownership has transferred, or does IN8 own both of these properties?
(05-12-2022, 09:08 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:

Two large trailers are in the parking lot, one pointing to each of the two North buildings. Perhaps being emptied out now?

Is Google not still the owner of 27 Gaukel? It seems odd if they would still have stuff in 26 Charles W if the ownership has transferred, or does IN8 own both of these properties?

Google is/was a tenant on both 27 G and 26 Charles.

IN8 is also doing 88 Queen? That is a lot for one developer at one time but kudos to them.
(05-11-2022, 09:22 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 06:49 PM)CP42 Wrote: In comparison, does anyone know how much IN8 bought the TEK Tower parcel for?

$10,250,000 I believe

For 30 Francis, yes, that is the price that I saw.  I don't know about Ziggys or 26 Charles, nor do I know how big each is.

(05-14-2022, 02:13 PM)Zoo Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 09:08 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Two large trailers are in the parking lot, one pointing to each of the two North buildings. Perhaps being emptied out now?

Google is/was a tenant on both 27 G and 26 Charles.

IN8 is also doing 88 Queen?  That is a lot for one developer at one time but kudos to them.

Ah, North didn't own either building? That makes way more sense now.
I believe IN8 owns 26 Charles as the listed owner ("26 Charles Kitchener Incorporated") matches that for the Tek Tower property ("30 Francis Kitchener Incorporated"). Neither 27 Gaukel or 88 Queen match this pattern, though.

27 Gaukel has the same owner as it had in 2018 when it was renovated for North, so I don't think that's IN8.
(05-14-2022, 02:18 PM)Zoo Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:22 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote: $10,250,000 I believe

For 30 Francis, yes, that is the price that I saw.  I don't know about Ziggys or 26 Charles, nor do I know how big each is.

30 Francis is 0.23 ha, Ziggy's is 0.28 ha, 26 Charles is 0.19 ha.
(05-14-2022, 04:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I believe IN8 owns 26 Charles as the listed owner ("26 Charles Kitchener Incorporated") matches that for the Tek Tower property ("30 Francis Kitchener Incorporated"). Neither 27 Gaukel or 88 Queen match this pattern, though.

27 Gaukel has the same owner as it had in 2018 when it was renovated for North, so I don't think that's IN8.

I saw something on Urban Toronto that mentioned it was TEK Tower 3.  I would link it here but am not sure if that is allowed. 

I am sure it will become clear soon.
(05-16-2022, 10:34 AM)Zoo Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 04:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I believe IN8 owns 26 Charles as the listed owner ("26 Charles Kitchener Incorporated") matches that for the Tek Tower property ("30 Francis Kitchener Incorporated"). Neither 27 Gaukel or 88 Queen match this pattern, though.

I saw something on Urban Toronto that mentioned it was TEK Tower 3.  I would link it here but am not sure if that is allowed. 

I am sure it will become clear soon.

IN8 owns 26 Charles, Paid $11,500,000. Closed late 2021
I've been trying to get information about the two proposed 44 floor buildings. The planning department directed me to email the building or legislative department but as usual, neither of them have replied for half a month so I think they're just ignoring the request for information. Pretty fuckin useless to offer your email if you just ignore things.

I had an opportunity to drive down Gruhn St in Kitchener today due a detour and there were a couple renovations and/or infills that looked nice.  47 Gruhn is visible on Google Streetview.  There is another one nearby that is a renovation, but it's not showing up on Streetview yet.

Incidentally, the detour was due to a road closure for a new build duplex that replaced a house on the west side Park St between Dominion and Strange St.  It's also not visible on Streetview yet.
I was down near the Farmer's Market today to meet a friend. That Drewlo building and the commercial one beside it haven't progressed much.  I was thinking that they would be further along. I then walked up to Civiv 66 and it seems like a completely different world as that project has gone up fairly quickly.  I wonder why some are so slow compared to others - it can't just be building design or materials.  The Vive rental building seems to have people living there now which is a good addition to the neighbourhood.  

Also, the properties at corner of Cedar/Weber are still for sale. Those for sale signs have been there a long time too. What's the deal here?  Nice property and I think that it would be a good spot for a tower.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »