Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Somewhere in this thread there's a render of what a 30 floor building on that site would look like. It was just made up to facilitate sale of the property, but it gives you an idea of how density there would appear. No idea what page it is on though.

Possible to go up to 50+ at that location, saw a concept site plan years ago. Lots of stacked parking but pretty good for a tight lot. Would be a great use for a station adjacent parcel.
And where will the 17 existing tenants at 96 Duke St end up?
It's an odd little property, being between the church and what had been a Catholic high school before getting repurposed. Was it owned by the church or Catholic board?
(09-27-2023, 09:06 PM)KevinL Wrote: It's an odd little property, being between the church and what had been a Catholic high school before getting repurposed. Was it owned by the church or Catholic board?

Wasn't it a residence for priests at one time, or is my memory playing tricks on me.
(09-27-2023, 08:25 PM)Lens Wrote: Possible to go up to 50+ at that location, saw a concept site plan years ago. Lots of stacked parking but pretty good for a tight lot. Would be a great use for a station adjacent parcel.

If the city ends up passing the the growing together plan in its current form there wouldn't even be a requirement for any parking on the property and the property would be zoned for unlimited FSR and height so there is definitely the possibility for something very significant.
Here is a marketing video for the sale. It indicates no height limit so a zoning change I don’t think is necessary

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcQPh5u___Y

(04-15-2023, 11:08 AM)LesPio Wrote: 624 KING ST W - Property for Sale - King & Wellington - Looks like previous projects for this site will not be going forward...maybe something better
$8,000,000

624 KING ST W
Waterloo, Ontario N3G0E3
MLS® Number: X6027823

Description

Attention Builders & Investors! ( Joint Venture Only With Registered Tarion Builder Would Be Considered). Rare Opportunity To Invest In A Site-Plan Approved & Permit-Ready Dev. In The Heart Of Downtown Kitchener W/Total Of 34 Units Across 2 Buildings-1 Three-Storey Building W/15 Units & 1 Four-Storey Building W/19 Units. Located 500 Ft From Google & U Of W School Of Pharmacy, W/Lrt At Your Doorstep. Zoning Allows For Both Condos & Rental Apt. Buildings, Providing Ample Options. The Property Sits On A Vacant Lot Measuring Approximately 0.31 Acres & Has Already Received Site Plan Approval From City Of Kitchener. The Units Range From 587 Sq Ft To 1316 Sq Ft, With Private Terraces For Each Unit. The Four-Storey Building Is Designed With An Elevator, And There Are 23 Underground Parking Spaces In A Single Level Underground Parking Garage For Both Buildings. All Services Are Inside The Property Line, Including Hydro, Sewer, Gas, And More. The Property Is Within Walking Distance Of Shops,**** EXTRAS **** Restaurants, & Provides Quick Access To Go Station & Highways. Upon Accepted Offer, Seller Will Provide Site Plan And Site Stats, Building Permit, Zoning By-Law Approval, Draft Plan Approval, Geotach Report, Appraisal Report, And Survey. (31499441)

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25471...w-waterloo

Not to disappoint anyone who was hoping for a flatiron like building on the site but another developer has bought this property and appears to be going ahead with the previously approved plan. There is a shoring rig on site as well as a excavator and a bunch of survey stakes that I don't remember seeing before. There are no new permit applications so any work they're doing is purely from the previous issued permit (4 and 3 floor building).
(10-14-2023, 10:25 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 11:08 AM)LesPio Wrote: 624 KING ST W - Property for Sale - King & Wellington - Looks like previous projects for this site will not be going forward...maybe something better
$8,000,000
(...)
Attention Builders & Investors! ( Joint Venture Only With Registered Tarion Builder Would Be Considered). Rare Opportunity To Invest In A Site-Plan Approved & Permit-Ready Dev. In The Heart Of Downtown Kitchener W/Total Of 34 Units Across 2 Buildings-1 Three-Storey Building W/15 Units & 1 Four-Storey Building W/19 Units.

34 Units In A Property That Costs Eight Million Dollars Is Pretty Low Density--That's $235K Per Unit In Terms Of Land Cost Alone, Before Any Shovel Hits The Ground. I Would Expect Rather Expensive (Though Not Large) Units If They Do Indeed Proceed With This Plan.
So You're The One Writing The Realtor Listings, Aren't You?
(10-16-2023, 05:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: So You're The One Writing The Realtor Listings, Aren't You?

CALLING ALL INVESTORS
local cambridge weirdo
Buying Every Unit And Renting To Students.

Apply Within. Must Be Indian. Must Be Hindutva And Prove You Voted For Narendra Modi. Starting At 1500 A Month For 1 Bedroom. Note: Each Bedroom Contains 6 Other Students. Your Bedroom Will Be A Partition. Must Provide Your Own Partition (Can Be Made Out Of Cardboard, Clean Sheet Taped To Ceiling [Must Not Damage Walls With Tape]). Utilities Not Included. Can Be Kicked Out At Any Time. Cannot Cook Inside Apartment. No Furniture Included - Must Provide Own Yoga Mat Or Air Mattress. DM For Details!
(10-16-2023, 07:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: Buying Every Unit And Renting To Students.

Apply Within. Must Be Indian. Must Be Hindutva And Prove You Voted For Narendra Modi. Starting At 1500 A Month For 1 Bedroom. Note: Each Bedroom Contains 6 Other Students. Your Bedroom Will Be A Partition. Must Provide Your Own Partition (Can Be Made Out Of Cardboard, Clean Sheet Taped To Ceiling [Must Not Damage Walls With Tape]). Utilities Not Included. Can Be Kicked Out At Any Time. Cannot Cook Inside Apartment. No Furniture Included - Must Provide Own Yoga Mat Or Air Mattress. DM For Details!

Sounds like any rental not involving a large landlord.

I have no idea how this is even legal. Not just those from India, but those from other countries as well (seeing this on FB Marketplace).

Yet, society seems 100% ok with racism, just as long as you're not a white male.

(10-17-2023, 02:27 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 07:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: Buying Every Unit And Renting To Students.

Sounds like any rental not involving a large landlord.

I have no idea how this is even legal. Not just those from India, but those from other countries as well (seeing this on FB Marketplace).

Yet, society seems 100% ok with racism, just as long as you're not a white male.

I discussed this in my racism thread, but most of these are actually people looking for roommates, and I don't think it's unreasonable and it's probably not even illegal for people to be choosy and biased about who their roommates are.

That being said, I really am tired of the "society seems 100% ok with racism, as long as you're not a white male"...it's such a blatantly false claim. Leaving aside the general imbalance in power, it is the case that white males getting in trouble are notable explicitly because it is rare when they are punished for racism (and sexism). And in fact, people of visible minorities often have to be above perfect in order not to suffer consequences.

Think for example, how many white men in board rooms can get away with making racial jokes...do you think that black men could get away with the same behaviour. If you really think so, you should investigate why you think so, because the reality is the opposite.
(10-17-2023, 03:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-17-2023, 02:27 PM)jeffster Wrote: Sounds like any rental not involving a large landlord.

I discussed this in my racism thread, but most of these are actually people looking for roommates, and I don't think it's unreasonable and it's probably not even illegal for people to be choosy and biased about who their roommates are.

That being said, I really am tired of the "society seems 100% ok with racism, as long as you're not a white male"...it's such a blatantly false claim. Leaving aside the general imbalance in power, it is the case that white males getting in trouble are notable explicitly because it is rare when they are punished for racism (and sexism). And in fact, people of visible minorities often have to be above perfect in order not to suffer consequences.

Think for example, how many white men in board rooms can get away with making racial jokes...do you think that black men could get away with the same behaviour. If you really think so, you should investigate why you think so, because the reality is the opposite.

I am not referring to people looking for roommates of a certain kind.

I am referring to homes (whole houses), condos, apartment (small buildings) looking for Indian families of certain castes or Chinese families.

This is not something that falls in line of being "reasonable" but indeed is super racist. FaceBook does a decent job of deleting these posts for violating terms of service, but they continue to pop up.

And it's not 'false' that it's OK to be racist if you're not a white male. It happens, and it's sad. My opinion is that everyone can be, and is, racist.

At least I can speak from a 'non-white' point of view, being my heritage in indigenous, on my father's side.

As for boardrooms, I have no idea what you're talking about. At least where I work, any sort of racism isn't tolerated. Doesn't matter what your background is.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »