Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(01-26-2022, 04:02 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 09:59 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's another very tall tower in the works for downtown. Not sure when the developer plans to put an application in, but look out for it.

How tall are we talking? 40 floors?

I'm speculating that it will be 50 or more....but that's just me having fun.

(01-26-2022, 05:48 PM)LesPio Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 04:02 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: How tall are we talking? 40 floors?

I'm speculating that it will be 50 or more....but that's just me having fun.

Would be nice if it was over 44 just to stick it to TEK Tower’s marketing material of “City’s Tallest Tower!”
Haha, the Station Park skyscraper will be taller than TEK so it's weird they're going with that marketing angle considering it hasn't even got approval.

I can't give more details about what I know, though. There's confidentiality rules and if NIMBYs got word they'll start complaining before they even know anything.
(01-26-2022, 07:26 PM)ac3r Wrote: Haha, the Station Park skyscraper will be taller than TEK so it's weird they're going with that marketing angle considering it hasn't even got approval.

I can't give more details about what I know, though. There's confidentiality rules and if NIMBYs got word they'll start complaining before they even know anything.

hahaha How about this, give us a range of what the number of floors might be. for example "20-60 floors" That way they don't complain, and that way you're technically not giving details. hahahaha
(01-26-2022, 07:49 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 07:26 PM)ac3r Wrote: Haha, the Station Park skyscraper will be taller than TEK so it's weird they're going with that marketing angle considering it hasn't even got approval.

hahaha How about this, give us a range of what the number of floors might be. for example "20-60 floors" That way they don't complain, and that way you're technically not giving details. hahahaha

My personal source tells me it'll be between 10 and 100 floors. And I think that's pretty reliable info!
Maybe one of our esteemed downtown parking lots will be the site of the next development. The site across from Charlie West would be a good place for a big tower, and/or the old bus station. The manulife parking lot is overdue. There's also the parking lot behind 345 King. Maybe Tony decided to move ahead with his plans to develop Jack Burger? The whole east side is ripe, but vive seems to own everything on the east side of downtown.
I'm going to guess that it will be the western hemisphere's first Megatall.

(01-27-2022, 10:12 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Maybe one of our esteemed downtown parking lots will be the site of the next development. The site across from Charlie West would be a good place for a big tower, and/or the old bus station. The manulife parking lot is overdue. There's also the parking lot behind 345 King.

All of those parking lots, except for the Manulife one, are owned by the City of Kitchener. The city has talked about selling them off for redevelopment, but any such process would be required to be a public bid. So we're not going to be surprised by any development proposals for them, we'll know it's coming when the city starts taking bids. The parking lot they sold to Perimeter for 345 King had a multi-year gap between the sale being announced and when we saw the first render.
Kitchener announces revitalization of main street businesses through partnership with My Main Street
Tobogganing at Hillside looks a little different these days! 

From the park...
This building at Queen and Joseph is scheduled for demolition. Heritage committee made it contingent on it being redeveloped "soon", but for now the owner just plans to sod over it. Kinda sad — I've always liked this building and it certainly has more heritage characteristics than the ones that were forced to be saved in front of the development a few lots down, but it makes sense given the pictures of the inside

[Image: p67Wh3n.png]
(02-01-2022, 02:16 AM)GtwoK Wrote: This building at Queen and Joseph is scheduled for demolition. Heritage committee made it contingent on it being redeveloped "soon", but for now the owner just plans to sod over it. Kinda sad — I've always liked this building and it certainly has more heritage characteristics than the ones that were forced to be saved in front of the development a few lots down, but it makes sense given the pictures of the inside

I always thought that it was kind of an eyesore.

Can't be gone soon enough, along with the one beside it, imo.
Hopefully that block can get redeveloped.

Queen has a lot of potential. I vaguely remember reading that the building complex that is 132 Queen and where the Hasty Market on Ontario Street is was being sold. It'd be nice to see that get turned into a new project because it's really ugly and old.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »