Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Columbia | 22 fl | Complete
One Columbia
1 Columbia Street West, Waterloo

Developer: Schembri Properties

[Image: 1_columbia_20130521_1794613508.jpg]

I came across this thread and this thread on reddit about 1 Columbia Street West, managed by Schembri Properties.

UW has organized a meeting because apparently a great number of students who were supposed to be moving in tomorrow have been told that the building won't be ready. Tenants on the reddit thread mentioned that Schembri was refusing to refund deposits and was offering to relocate tenants to a hotel, but nothing has been finalized, even though move-in is just hours away. Not to mention Schembri's lack of professionalism, claiming that leases weren't finalized, and demanding authors of public Facebook discussions be deleted.

I've heard of a few tenants being unable to move in to a rental before, but never a clusterduck of this magnitude.

P.S., is there a template for posts about buildings under construction, similar to what was on WW?
isUsername Wrote:I came across this thread and this thread on reddit about 1 Columbia Street West, managed by Schembri Properties.

UW has organized a meeting because apparently a great number of students who were supposed to be moving in tomorrow have been told that the building won't be ready. Tenants on the reddit thread mentioned that Schembri was refusing to refund deposits and was offering to relocate tenants to a hotel, but nothing has been finalized, even though move-in is just hours away. Not to mention Schembri's lack of professionalism, claiming that leases weren't finalized, and demanding authors of public Facebook discussions be deleted.

I've heard of a few tenants being unable to move in to a rental before, but never a clusterduck of this magnitude.

What a disaster. Anyone here sign a lease at 1 Columbia?

isUsername Wrote:P.S., is there a template for posts about buildings under construction, similar to what was on WW?

It's on my list of things to do. I'm going to try to get that put out sometime today.
Hard to imagine that people were expected to move into this building for September 2014. The building isn't even totally enclosed yet, never mind the fact that the cladding is just getting started.

September 12, 2014

[Image: September1220141.png]

[Image: September1220142.png]

[Image: September1220143.png]
I get uneasy when I look at this building. I made the mistake of looking up through my moonroof one day while waiting at the light and it looked like it was swaying. Since then I can't help but notice a distinctive lean when approaching King on Columbia.

I'm not sure if it's the angle relative to the hill, or the lack of girth compared to its height, but it looks like it could fall across Columbia with a good gust of wind.
Although a building collapse would arguably improve the looks of this one, I doubt that there is much to worry about. The only thing that actually appeals to me about this tower is the thin profile.
Article in The Record on Friday, seems the students are still fighting to get their money back:

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/487 ... partments/

(09-17-2014, 11:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Although a building collapse would arguably improve the looks of this one, I doubt that there is much to worry about.  The only thing that actually appeals to me about this tower is the thin profile.

I couldnt agree more. It, and all the rest of the buildings are hideous and cheap. They will be crumbling within the next five years. I am so thankful I dont live in Waterloo and have to look at that eye sore.
Is that realistic? That this or any of the others would only last for 5 years? Seems short.
(10-02-2014, 03:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that realistic? That this or any of the others would only last for 5 years? Seems short.
Does anyone else not see what Panamaniac is posting? It's happened in a few threads. The quote is there but not the response.
(10-02-2014, 04:54 PM)Spokes Wrote: Does anyone else not see what Panamaniac is posting?  It's happened in a few threads.  The quote is there but not the response.

Nope see nothing at all.   Must be a glitch in the software somewhere.   
(09-17-2014, 11:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Although a building collapse would arguably improve the looks of this one, I doubt that there is much to worry about.  The only thing that actually appeals to me about this tower is the thin profile.

Has all the charm of former Soviet construction.   There was a soviet style of construction  after the revolution with a common corridor, bathroom, telephone and kitchen.  You had a room to yourself and that was it.   Communal living.    Sounds like student housing.    Bring your own Vodka comrade. 

(10-02-2014, 06:42 PM)rickhd Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 04:54 PM)Spokes Wrote: Does anyone else not see what Panamaniac is posting?  It's happened in a few threads.  The quote is there but not the response.

(10-02-2014, 06:42 PM)rickhd Wrote:

I can't figure this one out for the life of me.  I'll keep trying. 
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »