Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fourteen Princess | ? m | 7 fl | Complete
Fourteen Princess
14 Princess St, Waterloo
Developer: Brad Marsland
Architects: ABA Architect
7 story apartment building with three levels of underground parking

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1546]

Waterloo’s only bowling lanes set to close
May 11, 2013 | CTV Kitchener | LINK

Quote:The very first pins to be knocked down at Waterloo Bowling Lanes happened back in 1949.  From that moment on, it has played host to countless birthday parties, first dates and late night games.

Many of its faithful customers keep coming back.

Michael Bierstock has been coming to the bowling lanes for almost 50 years and three generations of his family have been throwing birthday parties at Waterloo Lanes.

“I’ve had one of my first birthday parties here.” Bierstock says.

Saturday is the last time that the Bierstock’s will celebrate at the Uptown Waterloo bowling alley because the building is about to be torn down.
After six decades and hundreds of thousands of bowling games played inside the Princess Street West building, it will be torn down to make room for a seven storey luxury apartment building.

But the business will live on.

Long-time employees Tom and Pauline Clayfield are hoping to buy the business and relocate it.

“Pauline and I are looking at putting in a new centre in the north end of Waterloo to try to keep the business running.”  Clayfield says.

They say the bowling alley is as much a part of their lives as it is their customers.
Waterloo Bowling Lanes will close its doors Saturday night.

Last pin falls on Princess Street
May 14, 2013 | Jordan Ercit | Waterloo Chronicle | LINK

Quote:“It’s a local tradition, like the Harmony Lunch,” he said.

But that tradition is in jeopardy of disappearing unless the new owners, bar manager Pauline Clayfield and her husband Tom, can find a new home for Waterloo Bowling Lanes.

A year ago, the Roeders were told by property management the building was going to be converted into a multi-use facility, including apartments and a parking lot. It was a decision the Roeders are at peace with because parking at Waterloo Lanes is limited — they have 16 spots, “but our patrons always found a way,” Gerry said — and the roof had its share of patch jobs.

“I don’t blame (Brad Marsland, the property owner) for this,” Gerry said. “I understand why they have to do it.”

So with the lease up at the end of the month, the Roeders, who include chief operators Dave Roeder and his wife Beth, have been helping the Clayfields find a new location, potentially on Conestogo Road near King Street and Northfield Drive in north Waterloo.

Parking and zoning may be an issue and recent restructuring at the City of Waterloo have complicated matters, but Gerry said, “it’s not a showstopper.”
September 4, 2014

[Image: September420141.png]

[Image: September420142.png]
A copy of the site condition report by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment can be found here
I walked by this site today. Nothing new has happened, but with the building torn down and only the basement foundation remaining, it's quite obvious how much less work will need to be done when it comes to excavation.
The former Waterloo Lanes has some very active construction taking place today.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tower crane going up today.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

This place is using old style wooden forms for concrete:

Is this method going out of style?  I was  under the impression that One Victoria used this technique as well
(05-09-2015, 09:56 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is this method going out of style?  I was  under the impression that One Victoria used this technique as well

Sadly, it isn't.
I got some photos of this project Friday morning, when I get a chance I will post them.
(05-09-2015, 09:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(05-09-2015, 09:56 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is this method going out of style?  I was  under the impression that One Victoria used this technique as well

Sadly, it isn't.

What would you rather see?
(05-10-2015, 03:41 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(05-09-2015, 09:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Sadly, it isn't.

What would you rather see?

Precast concrete or at least ICF both of which are superior.

Obviously faster, but what are other benefits?
(05-11-2015, 06:44 AM)Spokes Wrote: Obviously faster, but what are other benefits?

(1) Concrete is rather sensitive to curing conditions. While nothing unsafe happens outdoors, properly temperature and humidity controlled cured concrete shows increased strength and lower permeability.

(2) There are decreases in quality when the concrete sits too long in the mixing truck. This is regulated so there is an expiry time for a load of concrete. If you use the load just within the time limit this is still safe, but nonetheless weaker concrete.

(3) The rebar placement shows less errors. My numbers are rather old, but I recall studies during demolition showing that a non negligible amount of rebar was out of place or improperly secured at cross members.  ICF has guides that make sure rebar is where it is supposed to be, precast concrete is done at eye level in an enclosed facility usually with standard forms, so the probability of error is even lower.

(4) Less errors of alignment. You'd be surprised the number of walls which aren't true to the vertical.

(5) ICF: higher insulation factor.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »