Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban parks
(06-08-2024, 03:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 02:01 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: I know this topic has been discussed here plenty, but hopefully part of the discussion extends beyond the park itself. For me the two biggest issues are the intersection of overcrowding and active transportation, both of which can be solved outside of the park. Things like providing similar amenities at other parks, expanding other parks, and continuing with active transportation alternative routes.

This is strongly on point...but I also think it's antithetical to how planning in Canada works. The Park Master Plan will exist in isolation. It can say "well the city should develop other transportation routes to relieve pressure on the park" but then the city's transportation plan will say "funnel as many people through the park because it's convenient", and everyone will agree that's absurd, and then continue to do it anyway.

That also reminds me, another issue with running active transportation through parks is that parks "close" at night. It's probably quite unlikely to be stopped while just passing through, but it's still an absurd idea. I've been warned in a different park for being there after hours (I didn't even know parks closed), and don't want to have to risk a fine just to get home safely.

(06-08-2024, 02:26 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 03:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is strongly on point...but I also think it's antithetical to how planning in Canada works. The Park Master Plan will exist in isolation. It can say "well the city should develop other transportation routes to relieve pressure on the park" but then the city's transportation plan will say "funnel as many people through the park because it's convenient", and everyone will agree that's absurd, and then continue to do it anyway.

That also reminds me, another issue with running active transportation through parks is that parks "close" at night. It's probably quite unlikely to be stopped while just passing through, but it's still an absurd idea. I've been warned in a different park for being there after hours (I didn't even know parks closed), and don't want to have to risk a fine just to get home safely.
I think that the bylaws closing parks at night is probably to give the police a reason to expel those using the parks for disruptive purposes, e.g. large groups of noisy teenagers disturbing the neighbours. I doubt that the police are going to sit around in a park waiting to ticket random individuals passing through on their way home after the bars close. I have been in many parks at night without seeing anyone, let alone a police officer.
(06-08-2024, 02:49 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 02:26 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: That also reminds me, another issue with running active transportation through parks is that parks "close" at night. It's probably quite unlikely to be stopped while just passing through, but it's still an absurd idea. I've been warned in a different park for being there after hours (I didn't even know parks closed), and don't want to have to risk a fine just to get home safely.
I think that the bylaws closing parks at night is probably to give the police a reason to expel those using the parks for disruptive purposes, e.g. large groups of noisy teenagers disturbing the neighbours. I doubt that the police are going to sit around in a park waiting to ticket random individuals passing through on their way home after the bars close. I have been in many parks at night without seeing anyone, let alone a police officer.

No, I'm not really concerned about it, but I don't agree with the idea that major connectors for safe routes can be closed for parks of the day just in principle, at least without a direct alternative.

The time I was given a warning I was simply sitting on a bench and talking with a friend. I don't know if I'd continue getting warnings or a fine in the future, but I certainly wasn't doing anything disruptive.
(06-08-2024, 03:17 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 02:49 PM)Acitta Wrote: I think that the bylaws closing parks at night is probably to give the police a reason to expel those using the parks for disruptive purposes, e.g. large groups of noisy teenagers disturbing the neighbours. I doubt that the police are going to sit around in a park waiting to ticket random individuals passing through on their way home after the bars close. I have been in many parks at night without seeing anyone, let alone a police officer.

No, I'm not really concerned about it, but I don't agree with the idea that major connectors for safe routes can be closed for parks of the day just in principle, at least without a direct alternative.

The time I was given a warning I was simply sitting on a bench and talking with a friend. I don't know if I'd continue getting warnings or a fine in the future, but I certainly wasn't doing anything disruptive.
It is nice that police officers have time to deal with people quietly talking on a bench in a park at night. It is a good thing that we don't have any car thefts, burglaries, gun battles or other crimes to distract them from that important job.
In my experience the police could care less about you being in a park after they "close" unless you look like a vagrant. It's more one of those policies that exists on paper, but in reality they could care less.
Regardless of how seriously police take the overnight park closings, there should be an explicit carve-out for use of the trails. This is just on principle; the law as written should at least try to reflect actual practice, and advertising a city as being active-transportation-friendly requires that it actually be legal to use all the advertised routes.

That being said, I am disturbed to hear dtkvictim’s experience; police should be using appropriate discretion and should understand the purposes of the laws they enforce.
I thought all municipal parks closed at dusk.

(06-08-2024, 02:26 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 03:55 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is strongly on point...but I also think it's antithetical to how planning in Canada works. The Park Master Plan will exist in isolation. It can say "well the city should develop other transportation routes to relieve pressure on the park" but then the city's transportation plan will say "funnel as many people through the park because it's convenient", and everyone will agree that's absurd, and then continue to do it anyway.

Yeah, this is definitely a problem. It was interesting too because the Iron Horse Trail (and other trails also) were run by the parks department, and hence were considered parks and technically closed. It took a lot of convincing that it was problem that had to be solved, and I think they added an exception...but the idea that active transportation infra "closes" is just absurd.

And yeah, it is a real problem...I've had the police literally follow me through the park (I was walking up Jubilee Dr and a cruiser literally crawled up the whole road following me. Of course, they'd never even conceive of closing Jubilee Dr to cars right.
(06-08-2024, 10:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I thought all municipal parks closed at dusk.

Dusk? No. At least not all parks, Victoria park is obviously open after dusk, it even has lighting. Dusk is like 4 PM in the winter.

But they are all officially closed around 11:30 or so.
I’m not sure of the official status now, but for a long time the Spur Line Trail was officially closed during train movement hours. Completely nonsensical, given the proliferation of sidewalks immediately next to 70km/h motor vehicle traffic all over the city.
(06-09-2024, 01:05 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m not sure of the official status now, but for a long time the Spur Line Trail was officially closed during train movement hours. Completely nonsensical, given the proliferation of sidewalks immediately next to 70km/h motor vehicle traffic all over the city.

Definitely absurd given the spur line trains move at like 10km/h.

That being said, it's also remarkable how incapable we are at building even low impedance separations between things. Like, everything must either be unseparated or a 12 foot tall chain link or concrete fence with 10 feet on either side.

The Netherlands is absolutely chock full of small fences and 4 foot tall hedges. Yeah, hedges need maintenance, but a similar rail line (as in a spur line carrying low frequency freight at 30-40 km/h), has a 3 foot tall fence beside it the whole way, as a result there's zero interaction between the path and railway...and there's far less right of way than the spur line.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »