Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgamation
Clever man, Mayor Vrbanovic.

All of the local politicians are saying the right things:  https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...vernments/

Quote:“I think this provincial government has said that we’re going to look at ways of making governments better,” said Jaworsky in an interview Tuesday, shortly after the Doug Ford provincial government announced that it will be undertaking a review of regional municipalities within the province, including Waterloo Region.

Jaworsky said the part he is pleased with is the fact that former regional chair Ken Seiling is one of two advisors for the review, meaning that it should be fair and balanced.

“He makes sure the best ideas come forward and everyone has a voice,” said Jaworsky.

With confidence in the way the regional government operates with all seven municipalities, Jaworsky, who is in his second term as mayor of Waterloo, said there shouldn’t be reason to change much.

“If it’s not broke, don’t fix it,” he said.

Quote:Regional chair Karen Redman said there are still a lot of unknowns.

Like most media outlets, Redman received an email about 2 p.m. from Minister of Municipal Affairs Steve Clark, saying that the Ford government is going to look at regional government with an emphasis on cutting red tape and improving service in municipalities for business.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to have a discussions where we can improve services with an eye towards attracting investment and talent to Waterloo region,” Redman said. “What it shouldn’t be about is the correct number of politicians. Because other examples have proven that this is not necessarily a cost-saving measure.

“This should be — how do we better deliver services to resident and businesses in Waterloo Region. And that’s what should drive any change.”

Quote:Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic also said the review was something he saw coming and he welcomes opportunity to not only see how residents and businesses can be best served in the future, but also reflect and showcase the amount of collaboration within the region.

“I think we have one of the best run region’s in the province in terms of the relationships that exist between regional government and the lower tier, and we have some best practices we can share with others,” he said.

Vrbanovic believes Kitchener’s government is right-sized and knows that some people argue the region has more people than comparable municipalities its size.

“The question becomes, what are the kinds of things we need to look for going forward as part of this process. The minister has said ‘Nothing is on the table but nothing is off the table,’” Vrbanovic noted.

“Until we sit down with the advisors and understand specifically what their mandate is, it’s difficult to say for sure.”
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a statement from the PCs going against what this process finds (likely regional government is good), and saying that the "people" want smaller government and then force amalgamation.
(01-15-2019, 04:42 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: As has been pointed out, reviewing so many different regional structures with such a short timeframe means it is most likely that the decision has already been made and this is more of a showpiece than a real evaluation.

The more I think about this, the more I think you're right.
From D'Amato: Amalgamation is coming

Quote:The only remaining decision will be what to call the new super-city. Kitchener is the largest city in the cluster. But Waterloo has more recognition from outside. Cambridge? Don't be ridiculous.

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...is-coming/

Ouch
As I read the politicians statements, Jaworsky has, not unexpectedly, put down a marker in defence of maintaining the lower tier, while Vrbanovic, reading between the lines, is offering full support up to and including for amalgamation.
If Waterloo is included in the amalgamation, the name will be Waterloo. People don't know Kitchener and if you say Cambridge people think England (old or new) and probably never Ontario.

If I were the one picking the name though, I would call us Grand River.

(01-16-2019, 11:21 AM)Spokes Wrote: From D'Amato: Amalgamation is coming

Quote:The only remaining decision will be what to call the new super-city. Kitchener is the largest city in the cluster. But Waterloo has more recognition from outside. Cambridge? Don't be ridiculous.

Ouch

I have always expected 'Waterloo' to take that. Kitchener was a bad decision the first time, let's not compound it.
(01-16-2019, 11:08 AM)timio Wrote: I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a statement from the PCs going against what this process finds (likely regional government is good), and saying that the "people" want smaller government and then force amalgamation.

Even if they did, that's an argument against amalgamation.

Sadly people have proven to be easily duped by Ford.

I don't think amalgamation is right or beneficial to the region, but even if people do think it could be a benefit, I hope they realize that it can be done better or worse.

I have zero faith in it being done well under the current regime, and I think it should be opposed fully by everyone.
(01-16-2019, 11:41 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: If Waterloo is included in the amalgamation, the name will be Waterloo. People don't know Kitchener and if you say Cambridge people think England (old or new) and probably never Ontario.

Absolutely.
I've always thought the region should have amalgamated themselves with a solution of our design. Now I'm afraid of what the frame work will be when imposed on us. I think we've always been aware that at some point the province was going to do this.

As for the name I'd go with Waterloo for continuity and it already covers the region. If we did go with something new I'd suggest Sandhills or maybe even Ebytown. Grand River would be okay too, I hadn't considered that one until Rob mentioned it.
(01-16-2019, 11:41 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: If Waterloo is included in the amalgamation, the name will be Waterloo. People don't know Kitchener and if you say Cambridge people think England (old or new) and probably never Ontario.

I don't know that I would be so quick to make that decision.   If and I say If, it was to occur, at a minimum I would think they would allow the people to decide the name through a plebiscite. 

As for People don't know Kitchener, that is a very bold statement.  When I travel and do business, I say I am from Kitchener.  People don't ask me, "where is that "and I have to say, "beside Waterloo...."
I usually say I'm from KW to people from outside of Ontario.

(01-16-2019, 01:00 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I don't know that I would be so quick to make that decision.   If and I say If, it was to occur, at a minimum I would think they would allow the people to decide the name through a plebiscite. 

Did the province allow the people to decide the name of amalgamated Toronto and Hamilton? Precedent isn't everything but it is a meaningful indicator.

(I am not ignoring or avoiding the rest of your comment. I don't disagree with what you said, my statements are also anecdotal and I simply have nothing more to contribute to that aspect of the conversation.)
(01-16-2019, 01:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 01:00 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I don't know that I would be so quick to make that decision.   If and I say If, it was to occur, at a minimum I would think they would allow the people to decide the name through a plebiscite. 

Did the province allow the people to decide the name of amalgamated Toronto and Hamilton? Precedent isn't everything but it is a meaningful indicator.

In both of those cases, the decision had been made beforehand to some extent; Metro Toronto was sliced off of York County in the 50s, and Wentworth County was renamed as the Region of Hamilton-Wentworth in the 70s. We've always just been Waterloo (County, then Region).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »