Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
(02-04-2020, 09:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wish they kept more of the old Sears facade. It was so iconic. This whole pseudo-industrial look is so kitsch.

Sadly the heritage committee doesn't care about buildings less than 100 years old.

The "water tower" with CF Fairview District has been erected. 

I for one am quite glad they got ride of the brutalist concrete facade. Like this new look or not, the old one was awful imo
The Sears facade was not "Brutalist".  It's a form of mid-century International Style, surely?
The "top hat" of the tower was still on the ground.

Coke
So am I to assume that they are not branding it as CF Grand Market District and that its keeping the pair of current names? (CF Fairview Park and CF Fairview Commons)
The renderings of the Water Tower had the branding of CF Grand Market District and not CF Fairview Park.
(02-10-2020, 09:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Sears facade was not "Brutalist".  It's a form of mid-century International Style, surely?

It's kind of in between, IMO. International Style is generally more uniform and regular, like the Bauhaus or Toronto Dominion Centre. The Sears facade was uniform, but the use of concrete and the circular nature of it has it more in a brutalist tradition. Both are modernist styles, so they have some aesthetic and theoretical crossover.
(02-10-2020, 12:29 PM)neonjoe Wrote: So am I to assume that they are not branding it as CF Grand Market District and that its keeping the pair of current names? (CF Fairview Park and CF Fairview Commons)
The renderings of the Water Tower had the branding of CF Grand Market District and not CF Fairview Park.

Maybe rebrand the water tower when the project is all done?

Nice photo while driving Coke6pk, that's a real talent! Looks pretty cool, though I'm kind of surprised it went up. For some reason I didn't believe it was going to happen.
(02-11-2020, 05:45 PM)mastermind Wrote: Nice photo while driving Coke6pk, that's a real talent!  Looks pretty cool, though I'm kind of surprised it went up.  For some reason I didn't believe it was going to happen.

I cannot confirm or deny if I was in the drivers seat, but the photo is clearly from the passenger side.  I can confirm the vehicle was not in motion. Smile

Coke
Looks like the hat is on the water tower now.

I like it. Probably not everyone will though, but I do like it.
I got a quick look at it yesterday with the topper installed and I quite like it as well. It looks like they put some effort into giving the steel an aged patina and the catwalk wrapping around the roof gives it some added structure too. Certainly not to everyone's taste, but I'm happy it doesn't come off as cheap.

I was starting to doubt too recently whether we would actually see anything like the renders constructed. It's promising that this is inching forward.
So the inside of the tower will be hollow or does the whole thing serve a purpose (other than aesthetics)? Somebody will surely climb up to find out.
(02-12-2020, 05:39 PM)hypnagogic_logic Wrote: I got a quick look at it yesterday with the topper installed and I quite like it as well. It looks like they put some effort into giving the steel an aged patina and the catwalk wrapping around the roof gives it some added structure too. Certainly not to everyone's taste, but I'm happy it doesn't come off as cheap.

I was starting to doubt too recently whether we would actually see anything like the renders constructed. It's promising that this is inching forward.

Is it steel or fibreglass?

(02-12-2020, 08:15 PM)embe Wrote: So the inside of the tower will be hollow or does the whole thing serve a purpose (other than aesthetics)?  Somebody will surely climb up to find out.

Tim Hortons will use it for brewing coffee during the busy times.
(02-13-2020, 12:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:15 PM)embe Wrote: So the inside of the tower will be hollow or does the whole thing serve a purpose (other than aesthetics)?  Somebody will surely climb up to find out.

Tim Hortons will use it for brewing coffee during the busy times.

Already happening....

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »