Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(08-15-2019, 11:21 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It's a bit ridiculous not to have any weekend service. Look, even in the presser on the Kitchener line upgrades they talk about going to see "a show or a game."

Nice to see some grinding down of the travel times.

What is the reduction?

We just had an excruciatingly slow Via trip into Toronto.

The 30 + 31 buses are 25 minutes faster than the train with no traffic, that's including a layover (yes I know, also fewer stops).  So there's lots of room for improvement.

It looks like six or seven minutes' travel time reduction- which brings the journey to less than two hours- and twenty minute' reduction for the express train.

When is the 30 twenty-five minutes faster than the train? Even very late or very early, the bus is almost two hours.
(08-15-2019, 12:58 PM)MidTowner Wrote: It looks like six or seven minutes' travel time reduction- which brings the journey to less than two hours- and twenty minute' reduction for the express train.

When is the 30 twenty-five minutes faster than the train? Even very late or very early, the bus is almost two hours.

Kitchener to Toronto:

The bus to Bramalea is faster but then there's a transfer that is generously timed.

The morning westbound trains are all leaving 5 minutes later than they used to and arriving at the same time.

Leaving Kitchener at 1645 will get you to Toronto at 1851 rather than 1915 because train vs bus? 1750 is also 10 minutes faster.

Toronto to Kitchener:

No changes to morning schedules.

The afternoon trains are 6 minutes faster. They leave at the same time and get to Kitchener sooner. 1727 is 9 minutes faster. Plus the express trains. 1850 departure becomes 1853 and arrives 10 minutes earlier, so that's a 13 minute win.
Okay, right, if not for the 15 minute transfer window, the bus would be a little bit faster than the train. But I've also had my bus into Bramalea arrive five or ten minutes late (though just the once, admittedly), so I can see the slightly generous window.

Thanks for the summary. Those are not huge improvements, but they are steps in the right direction.
(08-15-2019, 01:24 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Okay, right, if not for the 15 minute transfer window, the bus would be a little bit faster than the train. But I've also had my bus into Bramalea arrive five or ten minutes late (though just the once, admittedly), so I can see the slightly generous window.

Thanks for the summary. Those are not huge improvements, but they are steps in the right direction.

Yes, I'm a fan of incremental change.
(08-15-2019, 12:58 PM)MidTowner Wrote: It looks like six or seven minutes' travel time reduction- which brings the journey to less than two hours- and twenty minute' reduction for the express train.

Yes, sorry, it's only about 13 minutes faster at best time.

I was comparing to a point that was closer to the bus stop than to the train station, which is unfair (although not unrealistic for some).
(08-19-2019, 10:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: The first of the new 2019 fleet have started to arrive from Nova.

Did you mean to post this in the GRT thread? Or has GO started buying Novas?

I booked a trip to Montreal with Via but the first leg to Toronto is via GoTrain at 5:40am.. The ticket says "Carry-on only during off-peak hours"
Does this apply to this train? I didn't notice it when booking.
No baggage restrictions on the GO. Likely specific for the VIA leg.
(08-20-2019, 03:21 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 10:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: The first of the new 2019 fleet have started to arrive from Nova.

Did you mean to post this in the GRT thread? Or has GO started buying Novas?

Gah, yes!
(08-20-2019, 08:11 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I booked a trip to Montreal with Via but the first leg to Toronto is via GoTrain at 5:40am..  The ticket says "Carry-on only during off-peak hours"
Does this apply to this train?  I didn't notice it when booking.

I'm not sure what this means, I suspect it means the train does not have a baggage car (most corridor trains don't seem to have a baggage car anyway).  I suspect you can still bring standard suitcases for the luggage racks at the front of the train.
GO trains have luggage racks?
(08-20-2019, 08:11 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I booked a trip to Montreal with Via but the first leg to Toronto is via GoTrain at 5:40am..  The ticket says "Carry-on only during off-peak hours"
Does this apply to this train?  I didn't notice it when booking.

It's a 5:40am train... even at 7:40 in Toronto it won't be packed. I think it's more about not taking up all the space.

I've never noticed GO Train baggage racks. Will have to look for them next time.

(Also, it's super annoying how there's just one Montreal-bound train a day with a baggage car.)

540 is standing room only by Etobicoke North. I've almost missed getting off at Bloor trying to get through the standees.
(08-20-2019, 09:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: GO trains have luggage racks?

Sorry, I was referring to Via trains, I misread the question. I don't believe GO Trains have luggage racks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »