Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
22 Frederick St redevelopment | Completed
(02-26-2020, 01:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The former council chambers are being reworked with significant window content. And a glass-wrapped staircase next to the ex-chambers part.
Maybe they will be re-clad the whole building like this? haha

We can only wish.
(02-26-2020, 01:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The former council chambers are being reworked with significant window content. And a glass-wrapped staircase next to the ex-chambers part.

Oh, the irony.  It would have been so nice to see the council chambers behind glass instead of being shuttered away from the citizens.
(02-26-2020, 04:36 PM)jgsz Wrote:

Oh, the irony.  It would have been so nice to see the council chambers behind glass instead of being shuttered away from the citizens.

Yes. But if I think of any council chambers or parliamentary building I have seen, the main chamber is always windowless. Definitely not unique to Kitchener.
(02-27-2020, 10:45 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 04:36 PM)jgsz Wrote: Oh, the irony.  It would have been so nice to see the council chambers behind glass instead of being shuttered away from the citizens.

Yes. But if I think of any council chambers or parliamentary building I have seen, the main chamber is always windowless. Definitely not unique to Kitchener.

Take a look at the Senedd:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senedd_building

That being said, “shuttered away” isn’t a good description, given that it’s perfectly normal for debating chambers to be windowless or near windowless. What matters is what access is given to the public, and how important the public is in the legislative process. North Korea could have an all-glass parliamentary meeting room and it wouldn’t mean anything.
Photo from Saturday.  

I like the way this looks.  Are they still planning on a restaurant or lounge in this space?

Were they originally? That's a good looking space

Drove by today and was very (pleasantly may I add) surprised when I saw this. A very nice addition to the core and excited to see what they put in here.

Its little things like this that will really revitalize downtown kitchener
(03-09-2020, 11:40 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Drove by today and was very (pleasantly may I add) surprised when I saw this. A very nice addition to the core and excited to see what they put in here.

Its little things like this that will really hell revitalize downtown kitchener

I read "hella revitalize" and was impressed by your passion and use of slang lol
It's a shame about the grey paint, though. If they left it and just repaired the masonry where it needed it, this would have been a nice mix of post-war modernism and contemporary.
(03-10-2020, 08:00 AM)mastermind Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 11:40 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Its little things like this that will really hell revitalize downtown kitchener

I read "hella revitalize" and was impressed by your passion and use of slang lol
No idea how that hell gotta in there, that's what happens when you post on mobile lol. 

That said, a "hella revitalization" of downtown would be great Wink
ac3r Wrote:It's a shame about the grey paint, though. If they left it and just repaired the masonry where it needed it, this would have been a nice mix of post-war modernism and contemporary.

I was going to post that I'm glad there is no glass on top... the roof will help limit the visibility of the paint job.

Coke
The discoloration that was visible last fall is almost gone.  I can only see a very small area that is still discolored near the top, west side of the building.  I wonder if it was just something cosmetic.

Effloresence like that often happens over winter and can be washed away by rain in many cases. It's only a problem for part of the year, but it's still a problem.
Do you know what he cause is?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »