Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yes, wastewater renewal and investment comes at nearly twice the cost (485 million is the figure i remember) of the Region's portion of lrt and no one batted an eye when that was approved let alone asked for a referendum.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(10-28-2014, 12:39 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 11:50 PM)nms Wrote: On a funding note, when will we have a politician at any level (federal, provincial or locally) admit that we have deferred maintenance for too long on our infrastructure projects and unless taxes are raised, things are going to get worse.

Don't know about you, but I see all the municipalities talking about "infrastructure deficit", and adopting asset management programs. Waterloo Region specifically has been spending hundreds of millions of dollars on renovating some of its biggest infrastructure - the wastewaster treatment system.

As a reminder, LRT and intensification helps local municipalities reduce the growth of new infrastructure so we are not facing as bad of a problem in 50 years as we have now with infrastructure renewal.

That was one of Jeff Henry's first comments after getting re-elected.  That they need to work on infrastructure and asset management.
(10-28-2014, 12:46 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: By the way, the anti-LRT candidate in Hamilton was also defeated, with pro-LRT candidates receiving twice as many votes. It seems that most people do get it, with the exception of a few "get off my lawn types".

I'd be curious to see demographics in terms of voter turn out.  They say that millennials REALLY want LRT and an intensified core, I wonder if that resulted in a higher degree of participation in this year's election.
Why don't we have a referendum on waste water treatment plants while we're at it. They certainly affect us more than an LRT will. :/
A few weeks ago, I went to Toronto to check out the new Bombardier FLEXITY Outlook LFLRV's operating on the 510 Spadina line.  These trains share a lot of common elements with the FREEDOM LFLRV's that will operate on both ION and the Eglinton Crosstown, so I was eager to check them out.  Some of the main differences are;
  • Toronto's vehicles are narrower, yet run on wider track
  • Doors only on one side
  • Trolley Pole power pick-up (for now), vs. pantograph
  • Nose styling is significantly customized for Toronto's vehicles
  • Toronto's vehicles are unidirectional; trains are not symmetric as there is no cab at the rear of the train

At any rate, the trains are a significant advance over the ALRV and CLRV fleet that they'll replace over the next few years. Here are some photos I took:

-Iain
I've seen them running on King and they are slick. Way quieter than the previous models and allowing boarding through all doors. Stops are too close together though, I've noticed stretches were there is a stop in every corner for several blocks in a row.
2014-10-25 Construction Caroline and Willis in Waterloo
[Image: B0zjtn5CIAAE3o6.jpg:large]

(10-28-2014, 12:39 AM)mpd618 Wrote: As a reminder, LRT and intensification helps local municipalities reduce the growth of new infrastructure so we are not facing as bad of a problem in 50 years as we have now with infrastructure renewal.

It might be part of the solution, but each municipality still has a backlog that reaches into the hundreds of millions.  The City of Waterloo's is $250 million (excluding any future work needed), the City of Kitchener projects $1.5 billion (including any future work needed), and Cambridge projects $696 million (likely including any future work needed).  The LRT won't reduce demand for things like park structures, recreation facilities or sewer pipes.  In some cases, the intensification will increase the stress on our existing infrastructure which will speed up the rate at which the deficit increases.

Is Erb/Caroline closed until they actually start laying tracks, or will it re-open once utility work is done?
(10-28-2014, 02:40 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is Erb/Caroline closed until they actually start laying tracks, or will it re-open once utility work is done?

My guess is they will perform the utility work, then apply a temporary finishing coat of asphalt for the winter, and then tear that back up next year to lay tracks.

But really, all bets are off. Maybe they'll lay the concrete foundation of the ION stop?  I have difficulty thinking that they'll actually be laying tracks this year.
Looks like the Stop the LRT group has closed up shop, their website is down: http://www.stoplightrail.ca/
(10-28-2014, 03:55 PM)Markster Wrote: My guess is they will perform the utility work, then apply a temporary finishing coat of asphalt for the winter, and then tear that back up next year to lay tracks.

But really, all bets are off. Maybe they'll lay the concrete foundation of the ION stop?  I have difficulty thinking that they'll actually be laying tracks this year.

I asked Grandlinq about this, and was told that the first tracks to touch soil will be next to the OSMF from Northfield, heading South, starting in early 2015. I believe the RideION website confirms that the closure is temporary of the streets currently seeing utility relocation, and they will re-open, then close again for the concrete/track work starting next year.

-Iain
The Beer Store is now fenced off.

I was down by Borden Street and they've got part of closed between Courtland and Nyberg or thereabouts, there's signs saying it's for ION work.
Large gas pipes dropped off at the intersection of Northfeild and King, utility relocation underway in that area it seems.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »