Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-29-2015, 09:25 PM)JoeKW Wrote: What's the likelihood that the LRT makes it to Fischer Hallman in the next 20 years?

Low, unless the land-use plans change to direct a lot of density to the suburban areas. In this area, LRT isn't going to make that much sense unless the corridor is intended to grow tall.

(01-29-2015, 10:40 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Trains magazine's News Wire is reporting that the Region has exercised its option to extend the contract with Parsons Brinckerhoff for another three years. What does that entail?

In their own words: "As the Region’s general engineering consultant, Parsons Brinckerhoff and WSP are responsible for developing the output specifications for procurement, supporting the public-private partnership procurement process, and for managing the overall program, including construction management services for the client."

Basically they're extra staff that have more experience with this kind of thing than the Region does.

That's great, how'd you stumble across that one? Another rail fan? Wink
(01-29-2015, 09:25 PM)JoeKW Wrote: What's the likelihood that the LRT makes it to Fischer Hallman in the next 20 years?

(01-29-2015, 11:32 PM)Waterlooer Wrote: That will not happen, it's too low density. You'll have to use the 201 iXpress which goes down Fischer-Hallman to get on ION.

I assume that Joe is talking about an east-west line that extends west to F-H, not a line on F-H itself.
20 years? I'd consider that unlikely, considering that we still have Cambridge to build first. Though... Cambridge could be built within 10 years... so that leaves another 10 for an east west line to be built, which isn't completely out of the question, in this new era of transit funding.
But aren't we being told that the LRT is about boosting development first, and then about moving people? "Rapid transit, along with the Central Transit Corridor Community Building Strategy, will shape our community by encouraging reurbanization in existing urban areas." Pretty much everything within the boundaries of Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge fits that definition.
It also helps rationalize it. When we focus development of non-residential uses, bringing your pharmacist, grocer, library, city hall, parks, formal and casual dining together, we can have a city more easily enjoyed by non-car means. I would be shocked if we saw another museum or major cultural institution that wasn't built near the spine that is LRT, or at least near one of the iXpress ribs. I've never once visited the regional museum, but I've been to Kitchener's probably more than all the visits I had to all Ottawa museums (and there are a lot) in all 18 years of my childhood there. That is because of how conveniently it is located with respect to transit and complementary destinations.
(01-30-2015, 12:36 PM)Canard Wrote: That's great, how'd you stumble across that one?  Another rail fan?  Wink
Google search!

(01-30-2015, 05:45 PM)nms Wrote: But aren't we being told that the LRT is about boosting development first, and then about moving people? "Rapid transit, along with the Central Transit Corridor Community Building Strategy, will shape our community by encouraging reurbanization in existing urban areas." Pretty much everything within the boundaries of Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge fits that definition.
For some definition of urban. Reurbanization is focused on the Central Transit Corridor in all of these plans, even if there is some that is expected/encouraged in existing suburban areas. Realistically, intensification in/near suburban subdivisions is a challenge, as is intensification along back-lotted arterials. And I don't see why it would be a better idea than focusing that density in the one main corridor.
(01-30-2015, 01:07 PM)Markster Wrote: I assume that Joe is talking about an east-west line that extends west to F-H, not a line on F-H itself.
20 years? I'd consider that unlikely, considering that we still have Cambridge to build first. Though... Cambridge could be built within 10 years... so that leaves another 10 for an east west line to be built, which isn't completely out of the question, in this new era of transit funding.

Yes, I meant just reaching FH from the east either at Victoria or near Bleams (less likely but I think it's somewhat close to the LRT at that point).

(01-31-2015, 01:28 AM)JoeKW Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 01:07 PM)Markster Wrote: I assume that Joe is talking about an east-west line that extends west to F-H, not a line on F-H itself.
20 years? I'd consider that unlikely, considering that we still have Cambridge to build first.  Though... Cambridge could be built within 10 years... so that leaves another 10 for an east west line to be built, which isn't completely out of the question, in this new era of transit funding.

Yes, I meant just reaching FH from the east either at Victoria or near Bleams (less likely but I think it's somewhat close to the LRT at that point).

I think an Erb/University line probably has to be the second one after the Central Transit Corridor is completed.
(01-31-2015, 02:12 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(01-31-2015, 01:28 AM)JoeKW Wrote: Yes, I meant just reaching FH from the east either at Victoria or near Bleams (less likely but I think it's somewhat close to the LRT at that point).

I think an Erb/University line probably has to be the second one after the Central Transit Corridor is completed.

I still think Erb/University is a great potential BRT corridor, especially for a busway in the near term along the stretch between UW and Laurier, given the sheer number of buses with different routes that use the corridor and then branch out.

Overall, I'd like to see substantial buildup of our bus network around the existing LRT line, and the introduction of BRT or at least partial busways, along corridors like University and Victoria. The reason LRT is the right mode choice for the central corridor was because it is a strongly anchored, multi-destination corridor where growth potential and ridership potential is there today. Neither Victoria nor University boasts these strong anchors yet, nor such a good string of destinations. Maybe they'll have the ridership potential in 20 years that the central corridor has today, in which case we may only be talking about crosstown LRT lines at that point, not seeing them in operation.

In the meantime, don't lose sight of the potential for BRT to provide good transit support on cross-town routes.
Hopefully the aBRT setup used in Cambridge is phased in on the cross-town express routes that are popping up. The university route is good for that and hopefully the Ottawa street route gets it too.
Will the iXpress lines be converted to an aBRT look-and-feel, and maybe Ion branding? If not, we'll have four transit brands in the Region: Ion LRT, Ion aBRT, iXpress, and GRT "regular" service. Seems excessive, especially since there is no material difference between the service level of Cambridge aBRT and iXpress. Someone can maybe correct me on that, but they seem to have the same characteristics.
I think the plan is to have Ion LRT and Ion aBRT be one and the same brand. Same livery, tickets, etc.
I've never been able to find out - but will the busses that will run in the aBRT segment in the next few months be re-vinyled Nova LFS's from the existing fleet? I assume the iXpress busses that currently navigate that route will be the ones that will get the new livery?

If so, that's super exciting, because it will be our first preview of the "look" of ion (colours, designs, etc).

I hope they aren't just going to run existing iXpress busses with no brand change through the stops - although I pessimistically suspect that's what's going to happen, as it's easiest from a logistics standpont.

Lots of questions on the execution of this first staggered rollout.

If you run ION buses where there'll be ION aBRT, it means they'll be running the whole length of the iXpress route. Until people need to transfer at Fairview, there will be no intra-line transfers.

So either you stick with the iXpress branding that we've grown accustomed to, or you officially roll out ION branding along the whole line. If you start also creating temporary ION stops for buses, notably in the cores and just off from the two ends of the future LRT, then it makes sense and becomes a natural part of branding, excitement building, and expectation raising.
Would be good to get clarification on this issue. I guess we'll know soon enough.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »