Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(09-18-2015, 02:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Here's an example of very nice train station that could serve as inspiration for ours. This one is from Birmingham, UK:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/gall...n-pictures

I would be thrilled with that.

(09-18-2015, 09:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Birmingham looks great, but I suspect they have 10x the passenger volume that we can expect in the short to medium term.

Sure, I don't expect an exact copy, just something inspired by it. In terms of volume, if we ever get a fast train to Toronto we can easily beat Birmingham in volume. You see, while RoW is smaller in terms of population, Toronto is much closer in terms of traveling time than London is to Birmingham. This means a lot more people would commute, assuming we ever get a 45min train to TO.
I agree that the inspiration would be nice!

But Birmingham New Street has over 35M passengers per year, that's probably well over 100K on a typical weekday!
http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-s...-estimates
Well, if we're dreaming grand, I'll put this out there again then Smile

[Image: Lyon%20Airport%20Station,%201989%20-%2019942.jpg]

[Image: 65_1Saint_Exupery_TGV_Station_1.jpg]
On WW or SSP someone posted pictures of the new central station in Berlin, which I believe were well-received.

Closer to home, I quite like the station in Anaheim, California, similar to the station above: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Re...dal_Center
One of the final scenes in Season 2 of True Detective feature the inside of this train station. It looked like a pretty nice backdrop among all the tension and drama.

http://www.worldarchitecture.org/authors...enter.html

The region is going to be accepting proposals in 2016 which is pretty exciting. http://m.therecord.com/news-story/596505...ht-in-2016
Wow, that's very exciting.

Any chance these proposals will be made public?

I like that Vrbanovic is already publicly stating that the proposals need to be of high grade urban design. Make it great or don't make it at all.
Oh they'll have to be public, I would think - I can't imagine they would just build something and not let anyone know what they're up to!
(10-17-2015, 10:33 AM)Canard Wrote: Oh they'll have to be public, I would think - I can't imagine they would just build something and not let anyone know what they're up to!

They'll definitely let people know which one they pick, but I wonder if ALL options will be public.
I imagine they would probably go through a RFP process and that a shortlist would be released to the public for consultation. That's how most of these projects seem to go anyway.
(10-17-2015, 09:55 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wow, that's very exciting.  

Any chance these proposals will be made public?

Under the Municipal Act, there are only a small handfull of things a Council of a municipality can do that are confidential and not made public. 

Under Section 239(2) of the Municipal Act:

A meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the public if the subject matter being considered is,
a) the security of the property of the municipality or local board;
b) personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees;
c) a proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land by the municipality or local board;
d) labour relations or employee negotiations;
e) litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals, affecting the municipality or local board;
f) advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose;
g) a matter in respect of which a council, board, committee or other body may hold a closed meeting under another Act.  2001, c. 25, s. 239 (2).

So yes, almost certain the design will most definitely be made public. Other matters about the station such as land acquisition, legal risk, etc. would be done in a closed Council session.

(10-17-2015, 11:56 AM)jamincan Wrote: I imagine they would probably go through a RFP process and that a shortlist would be released to the public for consultation. That's how most of these projects seem to go anyway.

This process is what I hope to see, too.
"Construction of the transportation infrastructure at the hub could get started as early as 2017..."

Fingers crossed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »