Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
Let's get 'er done K-Town.

Time to solidify ourselves as a major global player :-D

I much prefer the first option for the external sketches. However I think the second option with the park is more forward thinking. 

In the long run, as kitchener continues to build up, park space will be needed so incorporating it into current developments is a good idea. 

Ultimately I would like genuine renders over sketches to have a full idea of what actually looks the best
I too was stuck on the train shed... but I'm pretty sure as others have stated, Metrolinx has (in their opinion) more important stuff to deal with.  Reading an artice online about the Milton GO station got me to thinking.... other than Union Station, are there any other train stations that have covered roofs over the tracks?  The only other Ontario example I can think of is Ottawa... and I can't think of a single GO station.  I agree its a great idea, but DoFo would want any landmarks like that to be in the 416/905.

As for the bus bays... will they accommodate the hundreds of articulated buses we are getting?

Coke
(02-03-2020, 05:04 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I too was stuck on the train shed... but I'm pretty sure as others have stated, Metrolinx has (in their opinion) more important stuff to deal with.  Reading an artice online about the Milton GO station got me to thinking.... other than Union Station, are there any other train stations that have covered roofs over the tracks?  The only other Ontario example I can think of is Ottawa... and I can't think of a single GO station.  I agree its a great idea, but DoFo would want any landmarks like that to be in the 416/905.

As for the bus bays... will they accommodate the hundreds of articulated buses we are getting?

Coke

No, but they also won't accommodate the non-articulated buses we have.  They are for intercity buses only, and I don't know anyone who uses articulated buses for that, only double deckers.

As for the train station, I'm not sure what would qualify, London's (via) platforms are fully covered, but the tracks are not, https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9810053,-...a=!3m1!1e3
Montreal's track level is below the station, decidely completely covered.
(02-03-2020, 10:17 PM)timio Wrote: Montreal's track level is below the station, decidely completely covered.

And decidedly outside of Ontario.
Ottawa's no more enclosed than London, for what it's worth. It's a spectacular station, nevertheless.

I genuinely despise Concept B.

Concept A has grown on me, but I think more so just because I'm coming to grips with the reality of all of this.

As a whole it just feels like it lacks vision.
(02-04-2020, 11:45 AM)Spokes Wrote: I genuinely despise Concept B.

Concept A has grown on me, but I think more so just because I'm coming to grips with the reality of all of this.

As a whole it just feels like it lacks vision.

Vision of?
(02-03-2020, 05:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: No, but they also won't accommodate the non-articulated buses we have.  They are for intercity buses only, and I don't know anyone who uses articulated buses for that, only double deckers.

Thanks for the clarification.... I guess I missed that.

(02-03-2020, 05:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for the train station, I'm not sure what would qualify, London's (via) platforms are fully covered, but the tracks are not, https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9810053,-...a=!3m1!1e3

I looked at Ottawa, and it not fully covered either... just covered platforms [albeit Ottawa's are much longer... London looks like just a small section is fully covered]

Can the Region cover the platforms in a similar manner, or is that land under Metrolinx control?

Coke
(02-04-2020, 02:16 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Can the Region cover the platforms in a similar manner, or is that land under Metrolinx control?

It's Metrolinx'x, up to the retaining wall.
(02-04-2020, 02:16 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 05:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: No, but they also won't accommodate the non-articulated buses we have.  They are for intercity buses only, and I don't know anyone who uses articulated buses for that, only double deckers.

Thanks for the clarification.... I guess I missed that.

(02-03-2020, 05:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for the train station, I'm not sure what would qualify, London's (via) platforms are fully covered, but the tracks are not, https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9810053,-...a=!3m1!1e3

I looked at Ottawa, and it not fully covered either... just covered platforms [albeit Ottawa's are much longer... London looks like just a small section is fully covered]

Can the Region cover the platforms in a similar manner, or is that land under Metrolinx control?

Coke

True, I never realized that London only covers a small portion of the platform. Via rail trains are not usually that long west of Toronto so I've never had to go outside of the covered area.  GO Trains that we have would be much longer.
(02-04-2020, 02:16 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I looked at Ottawa, and it not fully covered either... just covered platforms [albeit Ottawa's are much longer... London looks like just a small section is fully covered]

Coke
From what I was told at the meeting metrolinx has minimum standard for covering the platforms. I expect they will meet those standards, but unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath for the whole thing to be covered. Personally I hope the region will try to push metrolinc to include a full shed. I just don't have much faith in the metrolinx. If it was a parking garage metrolinx will bust out all the bells and whistles, but I expect bare bones on this.

(02-04-2020, 02:16 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I looked at Ottawa, and it not fully covered either... just covered platforms [albeit Ottawa's are much longer... London looks like just a small section is fully covered]

Coke
From what I was told at the meeting metrolinx has minimum standard for covering the platforms. I expect they will meet those standards, but unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath for the whole thing to be covered. Personally I hope the region will try to push metrolinc to include a full shed. I just don't have much faith in the metrolinx. If it was a parking garage metrolinx will bust out all the bells and whistles, but I expect bare bones on this.
(02-04-2020, 04:12 PM)westwardloo Wrote: From what I was told at the meeting metrolinx has minimum standard for covering the platforms. I expect they will meet those standards, but unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath for the whole thing to be covered. Personally I hope the region will try to push metrolinc to include a full shed. I just don't have much faith in the metrolinx. If it was a parking garage metrolinx will bust out all the bells and whistles, but I expect bare bones on this.

Sadly, you’re probably right.

One nice thing about a complete cover is that it completely eliminates snow clearing of the platforms. So you have absolutely no snow at all on the platform, even with absolutely no snow clearing. Any sort of partial cover doesn’t do this — you still end up with parts that need to be cleared, and with snow getting tracked into the covered areas by boots.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »