Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
What you're describing is definitely reckless behaviour. I'm sure they could charge them for that without requiring a speeding infraction.

Let me make a couple of things clear so that no one gets the wrong idea or feels as though I'm attacking them.

I'm well aware that the majority of cyclists are not thoughtless and inconsiderate while riding. Just like motorists and pedestrians, it is a minority who behave improperly.
I am also all in favour of improved infrastructure for cyclists. I don't see cycling as a better or more noble form of transportation, but it's as legitimate as any other form and the necessary systems should be in place to permit it's use.

I don't agree though with the position that people who ride around on crappy bikes, jumping curves and weaving through and around traffic and people aren't true cyclists. If you're on a bike, you're a cyclist just as you're a motorist if you're behind the wheel of a motorised vehicle on the road.

If there were sufficiently widened paths that would permit both cyclists and pedestrians (in designated areas/lanes) I would have no objections to that. But until such time, I think it too dangerous to everyone (especially pedestrians) to have cyclists using sidewalks. Being afraid to bike on the street is a legitimate concern, but that shouldn't be used as justification for biking down a sidewalk, especially at speed. Couldn't the same rationale be used for someone on a moped or motorized scooter who chooses to ride on a sidewalk? There are less busy routes one can take. Maybe not always as direct, but that's how it is for all of us, especially those of us who use transit. If you're afraid of driving on the 401, take hwy 7. My point is there are always alternatives.

So... I'm not opposed to cyclists.
I support improved infrastructure for cycling,
I'm aware that the vast majority of cyclists are considerate riders.

But they do not belong on the sidewalk any more than a mobility scooter belongs on the road.
If there isn't cycling infrastructure in place, I have no problem at all with people biking on the sidewalk... especially on arterial roads.
/\ Fair enough.

Who should have the ROW?
(07-12-2015, 12:30 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: If there were sufficiently widened paths that would permit both cyclists and pedestrians (in designated areas/lanes) I would have no objections to that.

Do you mean like the sidewalks in Kitchener along Fischer-Hallman and along Block Line? They are divided and have markings for pedestrians on one half and cyclists on the other.
I have no problem with that. I'm certainly not anti-cyclist. I'm anti-d**khead, regardless of whether they're driving, biking, or walking.

My last comment on this as I don't want to labour the point.

If there's an empty stretch of sidewalk, I couldn't care less if someone bikes on it. I just don't think a pedestrian should ever have to deviate from their path, or have to step off the sidewalk because someone chooses to bike down the sidewalk.
(07-12-2015, 07:10 PM)timc Wrote: Do you mean like the sidewalks in Kitchener along Fischer-Hallman and along Block Line? They are divided and have markings for pedestrians on one half and cyclists on the other.

These are a good solution. I think that the municipal government should designate some streets which have very light foot traffic and particularly inhospitable roads as "sidewalk cycling permitted," and ask police to enforce the law elsewhere. Cycling is not an inalienable right in the same way that walking is; I think it should be accommodated, but can't be allowed to disrupt people getting around on foot like it does right now in many places.

Community Bikeshare featured by TD Friends of the Environment:
https://fef.td.com/projects/kitchener-re...bikeshare/
I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, but East Ave. has been all re-done now for a couple of months, between Frederick and Ottawa. It used to be 4 lanes and is now 2 lanes and wide bike lanes and on-street parking.
Is there anyone keeping an updated map showing the paved vs. to-be-paved sections of the Spur Line Trail?
(08-24-2015, 06:49 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Is there anyone keeping an updated map showing the paved vs. to-be-paved sections of the Spur Line Trail?

I found this clip on Youtube. Someone rode the trail on Aug 30 from Waterloo City Hall to Wilhelm and recorded it. You can see what they have paved and where they still have to finish the retaining walls and lights.
https://youtu.be/S7LFxjh8kEc
I hope they're planning on doing something about the hydro poles at Willow. I noticed there's a support line in the middle of the trail and a pole in the middle of the re-located driveway at St. John's Lutheran.
(09-01-2015, 12:00 PM)timio Wrote: I hope they're planning on doing something about the hydro poles at Willow.  I noticed there's a support line in the middle of the trail and a pole in the middle of the re-located driveway at St. John's Lutheran.

That one looks temporary if you look at its connection to the other pole. I hope that it is indeed temporary.

(09-01-2015, 11:47 AM)Chris Wrote: I found this clip on Youtube. Someone rode the trail on Aug 30 from Waterloo City Hall to Wilhelm and recorded it. You can see what they have paved and where they still have to finish the retaining walls and lights.
Yeah, basically unless you have a sweet dual-suspension mountain bike, avoid the Weber-to-Roger section of the trail.
(09-01-2015, 02:07 PM)Markster Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 11:47 AM)Chris Wrote: I found this clip on Youtube. Someone rode the trail on Aug 30 from Waterloo City Hall to Wilhelm and recorded it. You can see what they have paved and where they still have to finish the retaining walls and lights.
Yeah, basically unless you have a sweet dual-suspension mountain bike, avoid the Weber-to-Roger section of the trail.

Yeah, I tried one of the jumps on my hybrid and it didn't go so well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »