Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(11-20-2018, 07:35 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is/Was that to be done by Brick?  Or did I always just associate them with it

Definitely not. Probably Charcoal group or someone with experience in premium restaurants.

According to the developers website the pub will be run by Waterloo Brewing.

http://www.hipdevelopments.com/news/trad...h-181-king
And that would be the division of Brick Brewing Company.
Which would make it Waterloo Brewing of Kitchener ..... Wink
Waterloo (Region) Brewing Company!
Nah Kitchener +1 On this LOL

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Wow very cool. I'm surprised they're installing those so early
(12-01-2018, 11:17 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wow very cool. I'm surprised they're installing those so early

It's part of the building structure, this is a full precast concrete building similar to the two at Barrel Yards or the three at Trio on Belmont.
Hi, mastermind, can you explain 'pre-cast concrete building' vs traditional 'beam' (I'm assuming)?
Ohh so it is. Looking at it on my phone it looked like it was precast added on to the structure after the fact. Thanks for clarifying.
(12-03-2018, 10:30 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Hi, mastermind, can you explain 'pre-cast concrete building' vs traditional 'beam' (I'm assuming)?

Traditionally concrete forms for the walls, etc. are built on site and cement is poured into them and cast on-site in place. A pre-cast building has all the walls and floors cast off-site at a facility and they are loaded onto trucks and assembled on the site, kind of like giant lego blocks. An advantage of precast is that the only limit on speed is how fast workers can hang the precast, and it isn't temperature dependent, though cement can be formulated to cure at lower temperatures. By going precast they don't have to have as much on-site labour for building forms and pouring concrete.

Another use of precast concrete panels is on traditional steel framed buildings (red 'iron' columns and beams) where they are hung off the sides as the walls instead of using brick or blocks. Many floors are precast panels too.
(12-03-2018, 01:22 PM)clasher Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 10:30 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Hi, mastermind, can you explain 'pre-cast concrete building' vs traditional 'beam' (I'm assuming)?

Traditionally concrete forms for the walls, etc. are built on site and cement is poured into them and cast on-site in place. A pre-cast building has all the walls and floors cast off-site at a facility and they are loaded onto trucks and assembled on the site, kind of like giant lego blocks. An advantage of precast is that the only limit on speed is how fast workers can hang the precast, and it isn't temperature dependent, though cement can be formulated to cure at lower temperatures. By going precast they don't have to have as much on-site labour for building forms and pouring concrete.

Another use of precast concrete panels is on traditional steel framed buildings (red 'iron' columns and beams) where they are hung off the sides as the walls instead of using brick or blocks. Many floors are precast panels too.

Sorry I was so slow to respond Momo.  What clasher said!  

These precast walls are the structural components and are supporting the building and the floors inside the building.  This is different than the precast panels at say 100 Vic or Caroline St, etc, which are just hanging on the outside as a facade and didn't get installed until later.

Is one better than the other in terms of structural integrity, work that needs to be done on the building later (read: condo fee hike) or overall appearance?
(12-19-2018, 11:48 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Is one better than the other in terms of structural integrity, work that needs to be done on the building later (read: condo fee hike) or overall appearance?

I can't say, but there's a whole industry around maintaining older buildings and I'm sure those people would have lots of opinion on this!  My gut is precast costs more in the long run because you have all the extra exterior caulking between each panel to maintain.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »