Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
The Uptown parkade is now sporting chain link fencing around all of its upper edges.

I've noticed that 42 erb st e (the old lcbo and current creative enterprise initiative building) is for sale. Is momentum still the current owner and does anyone know what is/was planned for the site? Perhaps relatedly the house to the west buss recently sold (the Waterloo club-which is on the move apparently).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I believe Momentum wanted/needed that space next door to make the development profitable. Having lost that battle to a newer-to-development proposal which promised the club space in the completed design, they may be trying to move on and allow someone else to work with the now-trickier space. I don't see Momentum looking at anything less than 10-storeys in the future. The 4/6/6 for their first builds may have been a financing/confidence decision, but with 1Vic and theonehundred, I think they'll not be moving on as many of the less-profitable sub-10 options, which 41 erb st e has now become.
Received a flyer in the mail today, Hatashita Diamond Centre at the corner of Erb and King is closing. The owners are retiring after 65 years and liquidating their inventory.

I wonder if they own the building and it will also go up for sale? They have been there a long time.
(10-27-2015, 03:39 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Received a flyer in the mail today, Hatashita Diamond Centre at the corner of Erb and King is closing. The owners are retiring after 65 years and liquidating their inventory.

I wonder if they own the building and it will also go up for sale? They have been there a long time.

I remember when Waterloo Computer Books was in that space for a while. It was a bank before that, I think.
(10-27-2015, 03:51 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 03:39 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Received a flyer in the mail today, Hatashita Diamond Centre at the corner of Erb and King is closing. The owners are retiring after 65 years and liquidating their inventory.

I remember when Waterloo Computer Books was in that space for a while. It was a bank before that, I think.

That was not their original location, I believe that was on Bridgeport in what is now the Walmart plaza?

Thanks for mentioning what used to be in the Erb/King space, I couldn't recall. It is a prime corner lot, and I wonder if it will be redeveloped?
The Record article indicated that they owned the building since 1998.  The top floors are currently unoccupied.

A new coffee shop is opening next to CIBC in Uptown... I heard it's by the owners of Abe Erb but not sure. Looks pretty cool.

http://settlementco.ca/
(11-11-2015, 11:01 AM)insider Wrote: A new coffee shop is opening next to CIBC in Uptown... I heard it's by the owners of Abe Erb but not sure. Looks pretty cool.

I'm surprised that a new coffee shop would open so close to Coffee Culture.
I think it's more comparable to DVLB, honestly... which is also only 2 blocks away.
(11-11-2015, 11:01 AM)insider Wrote: A new coffee shop is opening next to CIBC in Uptown... I heard it's by the owners of Abe Erb but not sure. Looks pretty cool.

Too bad they couldn't have set up side by side. Then they could share the kitchen and food menus with wet and dry restaurant sections Wink 

BTW I really miss the BBQ ribs at Abe Erb that was on their original menu.
It looks like the former Branch 530 Waterloo Legion has a new development plan, returning back to its roots as employment land.

[Image: News.LegionHallRender___Content.jpg]
Looks good.

This is great, hope this project goes through.
I'm sure this will go through. Great addition, even though it's more gentrification. Slightly bigger pic:

[Image: CUGqbIYWUAAA55O.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »