Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-05-2023, 05:42 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 05:13 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I've seen a very disproportionate number of dashcam incidents from Poland's tram roundabouts. Probably not something we want to replicate.

That's selection bias. How often do the trams go through and not get hot? The times the do get hit is, what, a millionth of a percent of all trips?

I could have a biased sample, yes. I don't have the statistics. But you can't deduce that out of thin air, and definitely can't use that as proof that the opposite is true. I said disproportionate, meaning in relation to the total number of both tram and car accidents I've seen in Poland. A millionth of a percent of all trips seems very hyperbolic on its own, but the incidents I've watched also mostly included car on car accidents as a result of the overly complex design required to accommodate trams in a roundabout. Remember that these large roundabouts generally have a higher rate of incidents, though less severe, and can still hold up every person in the tram even when the tram isn't involved.

But at a fundamental level, I'm not sure why you are arguing in favour of adding complexity (and not the traffic calming kind) to our roadways when alternatives likely exist. Unless you think our current incident rate is within the bounds of acceptable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by dtkvictim - 06-05-2023, 09:56 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM