Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yes - all of Ontario, or any projects that Metrolinx has any involvement in at all. Ours is a bit different, since the only portion of our project that Metrolinx is involved with at all is the vehicle procurement.

The way it was explained to me, is that since our order for 14 trains is procured by taking 14 trains from Metrolinx' original 182 train order with Bombardier, they still have a strong say in the look/feel/options and so on for the vehicles.

This is why our trains look just like Crosstown, with just a different colour stripe. Personally, I really like that, and am glad that they're thinking about things like this (branding/design/feel).

I'm 75% satisfied with having the TTC chime. Smile I was dreading that it would be the default BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP alarm that most of the other Flexity trams I've watched clips of on Youtube seem to have. First choice would have been a custom chime, for sure, but it was also explained to me that a custom chime brings a new problem: You have to involve the accessability/disability folks, because there are specific requirements on announcements and warnings and so on, so it would have been a much more drawn out project. That, coupled with Metrolinx looking over our shoulder, kind of made it a simple choice for them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM