Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-04-2017, 02:52 PM)Canard Wrote: Thanks for that very informative reply, Coke!

City of Kitchener bylaw was not aware of any new bylaws as of Tuesday, and instead directed me to the Region. One person at the Region gave me the correct bylaw, and another wrote and said there are no new bylaws.

So, sounds like nobody really knows what's going on (except you!). Smile

I "like" to think so.... LOL

Putting up a no-parking sign does not make it a "Prohibited Area" under the by-law.  If you go to the Regional Courthouse (77 Queen), at the front are stacks of binders of the actual full by-laws regulations.  They will read something like "No parking will be permitted on the north side of King Street in the City of Kitchener from a point 9 m west of Queen Street to a point 9 m east of Ontario Street."  (It is illegal to park 9m from any intersection, so those don't fall into the No Parking section, as they don't need to be signed).  These continue for every block, each side of the street, for every street in the region that has a no parking sign.  If someone ever contested the legality of the sign, the binders are their for the prosecutors use, but are too heavy to carry in/out each week for trials.  Council approves all of these.  In the same way, every Handicapped Space and Fire Route are detailed in these regulations, normally with maps showing highlighted areas. 

When you call the city, they will not know a new street was added, and they would definitely say a new by-law wasn't added, but with a new regulation added, a new street would have to be listed before those no parking signs were posted.

I will ASSUMEthat all areas that currently have track will have been added to the city regulations under the "Park in a Prohibited Area" by-law, and adding "light rail tracks" to the by-law wording is for court clarification, but will not change the fact that a city or regional council approved those detailed areas as a place where parking was not allowed.

If the by-law officer shows up at the Tannery with their computerized ticket machine, they enter street and (normally) nearby street number and the computer decides if it is the city or regional by-law being enforced.  If it is not a valid location (ie. I printed my own No Parking signs and put them up on my street), the machine will give by-law an error message.  If there are clear no parking signs the officer will report the issue so that a) Signs are removed or b) Council adds that section to the regulations.  If the officer is creative, they can see if any other sections of the Regional Traffic By-Law apply.  [Park within 15m of a railway crossing, Park Obstruct Traffic, more than 0.15 m from curb...  Wink

Coke

EDIT: Since the tracks are marked as diamond lanes, I wonder if they will use 3.(a)(xviii) - Within a reserved lane during the hours and days that the reserved lane is in effect.  I think on the tickets it printed as "Park in a Bicycle Lane", but that may have been updated.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Coke6pk - 01-04-2017, 03:22 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM