Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-27-2017, 01:05 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Reference? My non-expert expectation would be that in the presence of the amount of force associated with an LRV, ice will be irrelevant — it will just liquefy. I’d be interested to learn however if this is incorrect.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "Reference"? I'm saying that there's a very specifically engineered force that the retarders (the things that clamp onto the rail head) are engineered for. Anything blocking the path of the bumping post will cause that resistive force to rise beyond the engineered value. If it rises too high, you're going to cause severe damage to the train. As it is now, the force required to push the bumping post is probably less than the force that would cause structural damage to the train. That only makes sense. No?

I have never seen ice just "liquefy" by being hit by something. Can you provide an example of where this has occurred?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM