Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc)
(01-30-2018, 11:17 AM)creative Wrote: So it comes down to ‘if I don’t use it why should I pay for it’! With that thinking then I shouldn’t have to pay for transit as I don’t use it. I shouldn’t have to pay for public education since I don’t have children in school. I should contribute less to healthcare because I don’t smoke, I exercise regularly and am generally in good health. I could go on and on. I don’t mind paying for all of these services and others equally even if I personally may not be benefitting from them if it benefits society as a whole.

You do contribute less to healthcare because you don’t smoke, of course. And it’s probably inevitable that you’ll one day contribute less if you eat less of certain foods (in some jurisdictions, this already happens).

We’ve socialized health care costs because we’ve recognized that it’s prohibitively expensive for individuals to insure against some things. We have public education because an educated and literate population is important for everyone.

But, anyway, that’s not what it comes down to. What it comes down to is that the costs of these services have been socialized, just like many of the costs of driving have been socialized. And that means that it’s impossible for people to know what the true costs are, and make sure the benefits realized justify them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by MidTowner - 01-30-2018, 11:52 AM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM
RE: Urban parks - by danbrotherston - 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by creative - 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Urban parks - by SammyOES - 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM