Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc)
(01-31-2018, 06:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Yup, you’re wrong. And you would be well advised to avoid accusations of dishonesty in a discussion without clear and specific evidence. Just some free advice on getting along with people from a non-expert on the topic.

I genuinely believe you know you're lying when you make statements like that. So I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

(01-31-2018, 06:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Right, because Netflix is entirely funded by its subscribers (and its investors, OK, but let’s not get into that whole can of worms!), who pay for the privilege of watching Netflix.

Whereas the roads are funded entirely by the general tax revenues, which comes from a group of people with a large overlap with drivers, but which is not the same as drivers, and who pay taxes because they are required to do so, not in order so that they may drive. There are non-taxpayers who drive on our roads perfectly legally, and there are taxpayers who do not drive on the roads. Interesting point which occurred to me earlier today: even if I skip out on my taxes, I am still allowed to drive on the roads. I may be prosecuted or my property seized to pay the taxes, but “can’t drive on the roads” isn’t an available penalty to my knowledge (except for licensing fees, which are pretty small potatoes).

The point of the analogy wasn't that Netflix and roads are exactly the same. Just that if you want to have a discussion about the funding for something its really silly to look at just usage fees because there are a whole bunch of non-controversial examples where that method fails.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by SammyOES - 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
RE: Funding roads (taxes, user fees etc) - by nms - 02-23-2018, 02:50 PM
RE: Urban parks - by danbrotherston - 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Urban parks - by creative - 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Urban parks - by SammyOES - 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Urban parks - by ijmorlan - 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM