Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-10-2018, 10:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Are D and E modules interchangeable? How about A and B?

I don’t know the full answer, but there has to be at least some small difference between D and E (and between the two ends of the C) because the C-D and C-E joints are different as mentioned in Canard’s post.

In principle they could put most 1-per-train equipment in the C module (and indeed, that is where the pantograph is) and 2-per-train in the other modules, but I have no idea how this is actually laid out. In fact, I know almost nothing in detail about what equipment is present beyond vague notions that there must be traction components, power handling, climate control, etc.

To a question somebody else asked about why there are only limited motions at the joints, if all the joints allowed pitch (up/down rotation) then the joints would not have a single defined arrangement to match any given track profile. The way it’s done, the C module can only exist in one pitch when the train is sitting on any given piece of track. Essentially the A-D-C/B-E-C (we don’t know which) modules form a bridge between the trucks on the A/B and C modules; then to keep the wheels on the B/A module on the track, it bends between the A-D-C/B-E-C and E-B/D-A modules.

I don’t know exactly what would happen in practice if there were more pitch joints, but seems to be considered desirable that the positions of the modules follow deterministically from the shape of the track. I’m guessing the C module would rock backward and forward unpredictably but I don’t know. Actually now I want to know what that would feel like to ride in. Probably not as smooth as the actual ride.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 02-11-2018, 02:42 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM