Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-02-2018, 01:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I just saw two pass northbound along King St. in Uptown. First one went by while we were waiting to cross over from the west side of King; then when we had walked to maybe Regina we heard a honk behind us and caught the second one going by. The two were much closer than they will be in normal service, although there was still maybe a couple of minutes between them.

Speaking of gaps, does anybody understand how the signalling system regulates gaps, or if it does? I have observed an LRT running southbound knocking down the signal at Seagrem from green to red, but it’s not clear to me when it would go back to green. And on the northbound track I don’t believe there are any signals between Bauer (Erb and Caroline and associated crossovers) and the crossover south of the OMSF. So I don’t see how it can be a block type of system. Or is some of the signalling in the cab? But if so, why not all of it?

The signals on the spur where the gauntlet tracks are aren't designed to be block signals they are designed to be switch interlocking signals. They are designed to warn of switch position for the gauntlet tracks. Green being normal (straight through), Yellow being reverse (diverging track), Red being either out of correspondence (a switch position that isn't known or is currently being changed) or switch block occupied (switch points lock when a train occupies a set path between two points). When in operation those signals will automatically reset themselves for LRVs as the ATP system will control spacing between LRVs in the ATP sections by regulating the speed of LRVs in a moving block fashion rather than fixed block.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 12-02-2018, 04:13 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM