Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-11-2020, 05:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 04:37 PM)If tomh009 Wrote: 270 Spadina and the Cedar St apartments have also both been renovated. Does that automatically make them gentrified?

As for ROOF, they indicated that their preference was to relocate a little bit away from the downtown core (but still transit-accessible).
Yes, I thought that One Roof’s move was probably a good move.   270 Spadina certainly seemed like an upgrade, but not related to LRT, istm.  I suppose that, any time somebody buys and renovates a home in the core, it could be considered “gentrification”, especially if it had previously been a more modest rental.  I guess all the new towers in DTK are examples of gentrification, even when nobody is diplaced by the project.

I mean I'm not an expert on the topic, but I don't think you can really say that any one project, especially a rennovation is "gentrification" in itself, it's all about the trends (and related to, but I think, not the same as displacement).

A part of the city that sees nothing new and no rennovations, isn't staying the same, it's decaying. An area requires some amount of upkeep in order to be maintained.  Whether that is technically gentrification, I'm not sure what the precise definition is.

I am also not sure that gentrification is as big a problem as say displacement, where people are forced to leave. Limiting housing (as we do with zoning) will almost always cause displacement in a desireable area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 06-11-2020, 06:28 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM