Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Change Kitchener's name back to Berlin?
(06-18-2020, 04:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 09:28 AM)panamaniac Wrote: How about "Mountbatten", since "Windsor" is already taken?  Is there anyplace that already carries the name?

Seriously, if K-W can't be amalgamated into a new City of Waterloo, then I wouldn't be bothered to change the name.

As I mentioned before, Waterloo isn't a much better choice as it was named after a battle. Many of the casualties simply disappeared, likely POW's and some to concentration camps. At some point, I am sure people will start wondering why the cities name would be glorifying a war, and likely slightly offensive to the French population as well. If we truly actually did thorough research on war, all wars, including recent actions, I think many wouldn't want to be associated with the horrendous acts of violence against innocent people (victims of war - collateral damage). I by this, I mean villages and towns being raided, women and children being murdered and/or raped. Lots of nasty stuff.

While I don't have an answer, but I did see this posted somewhere:

"History is not there for you to like or dislike. It is there for you to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then you are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase. It belongs to all of us!"

I think it brings up many valid points. Is there valid reasons for erasing our history? If we erase Kitchener, would we not also decide to erase Waterloo? As I said before, you start opening Pandora's box, and you may not be able to stop it.  But then again, perhaps that's what people want.
WOW, I love that statement...  I will use that line.  So many people are in a rush to try and erase history right now, I find it sad..  If we don't remind ourselves of our errors, we will make the same errors again in the future...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Change Kitchener's name back to Berlin? - by Rainrider22 - 06-19-2020, 03:42 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by BuildingScout - 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by ookpik - 11-24-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by panamaniac - 11-24-2014, 07:48 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by MacBerry - 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by zanate - 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by jgsz - 11-25-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by ookpik - 11-25-2014, 01:11 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by BuildingScout - 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by jeffster - 06-17-2020, 12:40 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by MidTowner - 11-25-2014, 02:46 PM
RE: ION -- Name that train - by nms - 11-25-2014, 04:41 PM