Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrey council unanimously passes motion to ‘cancel ’ LRT
(11-13-2018, 09:43 AM)Canard Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 01:39 AM)tomh009 Wrote: But why will it be that much better? At probably twice the cost?

The video I shared detailed all of the reasons. Have a watch!

OK, so this is what the video claims (there is no backup data, so it's just claims for now):

No transfer to get to Vancouver. Yes, this correct, I agree with this.

Fully grade-separated. But somewhere else they said that parts might be at grade.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news...lly-funded

Much faster. But small print says there are many fewer stations. 

Same cost. To some extent, this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The proposed SkyTrain route is the same as the proposed LRT phase 2. The SkyTrain proposal leaves the proposed LRT phase 1 route for BRT, presumably to be implemented later. And it's questionable whether it really could be built for the same price.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news...-in-surrey

75% lower operating cost. I am skeptical of this, given the number of assumptions they make in their calculations. But maybe that's just me.

Much higher ridership. Based on surveys, but I don't know who did the surveys or what the questions were. And the routes are different.

One thing that the SkyTrain proponents don't talk about is the LRT's capability to spur development, and how that is used to select routes. The proposed LRT routing goes to Newton and Guillford, two significant Surrey centres with a total population of about 200,000. The proposed SkyTrain route (as well as the LRT Phase 2) runs along the Fraser highway to Langley (population about 25,000). I don't know Surrey that well, but I think this highway is significantly less urban with lesser intensification potential -- think running the LRT along Victoria St in Kitchener.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Surrey council unanimously passes motion to ‘cancel ’ LRT - by tomh009 - 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM