Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
I guess subways aren't actually light rail, but neither are monorails. I think.

(03-11-2017, 04:31 PM)Canard Wrote: AC motors like this can be very accurately controlled by their drive (called a Variable Frequency Drive, or VFD); it's what makes the high-pitched quiet "squeal" or "whine" on newer trains as they accelerate and decelerate.  Some really nerdy folks like myself even get a kick out of the different noises that these types of systems make - my favourite being the 90, 120, 180, 240, 360 Hz startup tones of the Montreal metro trains...  Big Grin

You can hear some of the motor noises very clearly in this great video by ErbosSan on YouTube:

That video really contused me, because the vast majority of MR-63s, running on Line 1, did not in fact make the startup tones. It was the MR-73s on Lines 2, 4 and 5, which did. But that was clearly an MR-63 in that video. Only the MR-63 Jeumonts made the noise.

I was just on a bunch of the new Azur (MPM-10) trains this weekend. Like the new TTC trains (and all modern trains?), they all connect through. I was looking closely for the neat design features of the train. It no longer actually makes the startup tone, but it was nice how they use it as the door chime. I've also never seen it in other trains, but the Azurs have green lights for the doors that are about to open, switching to red when closing. There also seemed to be quite a bit of fan power; I wonder if that is more so due to the fact that the trains aren't compartmentalized.

All through the system, and on the trains, LED lighting makes a huge difference in the lighting levels.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more - by plam - 03-12-2017, 11:15 PM