Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(12-22-2016, 05:23 PM)dubya Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 10:28 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: You just killed the proposal!

I was describing how to turn this into a well executed high-rise project in the way any world class city would have it built. Given the proposal calls for a given density and the builder has a profitability target, you can't cut away half the building without making it up somewhere. This is a giant Lego block and calling it good design because it has spandrel in droves doesn't sit well with me. I was not allowing the way Waterloo's small minded, protective bumpkins and their antiquated city council would like to build it influence my description.

Oh yes, you’re right, no argument here. I just saw “more floors” and saw headlines in the Record right away. I agree that often a taller thinner tower is actually better for the neighbourhood than a lower wider one … if only it would be allowed to be built. It’s weird what is prohibited, allowed, and mandated under modern zoning regimes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 181 King St S - by Spokes - 10-01-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: 181 King St S - by The85 - 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: 181 King St S: Brick Brewing Redevelopment - by ijmorlan - 12-22-2016, 07:32 PM