Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-09-2015, 01:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know the legal status, if any, of the recommendation of the rail safety association but it seems to me that now that the recommendation has been made, the Region is pretty much obliged to build some sort of a "fence", for reasons of legal liability.

Either that or they get an equally expert opinion stating that said recommendation is "bollards" Smile

Given the difficulty I had finding examples of six-foot fenced-in LRTs it shouldn't be hard to find an expert disagreeing with the report above.

Bollards? Aren't those the concrete posts used to direct traffic away from certain areas. I have no idea why you used that reference.

As for using a separating wall, I think we're all in agreement as to the fact that there are a variety of solutions to this issue. Nobody is advocating that a six foot, chain link fence is the only solution. That was simply the recommendation of the committee.

You might want to back off the condescending attitude as well. Whatever you may have to contribute, and it can be insightful, is lost with your approach.
Did someone actually recommend a chainlink fence? I thought that was just a random comment by one of the Waterloo councillors.
(04-09-2015, 02:15 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Did someone actually recommend a chainlink fence?  I thought that was just a random comment by one of the Waterloo councillors.

"Waterloo councillors took aim at the six-foot fence that will remain after construction to separate the public from the tracks in Waterloo Park. "

Sounds to me that it is presently a given, unless there is enough blowback from City Councillors to reverse this unneeded, unwarranted eyesore.
Here's a photo from the web of Charlotte, NC's Lynx Light Rail - in the area where this photo is, trains are allowed to go up to 90 km/h. It sure felt that fast when I rode it a couple of years ago.

(04-08-2015, 08:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: That "ruling" seems ridiculous. Even the new multi-use spur trail only has a naturally landscaped buffer 1.0m of unmown grass and 1.0m of drainage swale (within the track envelope) separating the track and trail. There is more than 2.0 between the proposed LRT tracks and the trail. I guess all of Europe has it wrong.

The multi-use spur trail will be along a single-track freight line that will see two trains a day (~11:30pm and ~5:00am) travelling around 10-15mph which is a far cry from traffic levels and speeds proposed for the LRT line north of King Street.

(04-09-2015, 12:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Let's even the (heavily biased) tables a bit on that view, shall we?

This is my favourite portion of the route, and I can't wait to take pictures and videos along here.
 If you've been by this route lately, I think you'll find that a good portion of the trees between the trail and the rail line have been removed to make way for the LRT tracks.

Before everyone gets too worked up about the fence, consider the following:
1. The Region told the City's Trails and Transportation Committee at least 6 years ago that a fence was needed along this section.  The Region also initially indicated that concrete Jersey barriers would be required along King Street.  The Jersey barriers have since been dropped.

2. The Region would have included in their specifications to the bidders that a 6' fence was needed.  I understand from speaking to an engineer who was involved with one of the bidding consortiums that the cheapest possible fencing was being proposed in order to come in on budget (among other things I'm sure).

3. The Region signed an agreement with GrandLinq that said (and I paraphrase), "You will build a fence as proposed in your bid. Any change requests to this design shall be responsibility of the requestee to cover the costs."  Translation: if GrandLinq has to change the design for whatever reason, GrandLinq pays; if the Region wants to change the design for whatever reason, the Region pays; if the City wants a prettier fence, the City pays.

I suspect that GrandLinq budgeted for the cheapest possible fence that met the 6' requirement with the gamble that the City would make enough of a fuss that the more expensive fence was put in place on the City's dime.  The end result will be a pretty fence that GrandLinq doesn't have to pay for.
...and now the advantages of monorail's inherent grade separation become obvious.

Have a look at this video from Gold Coast, Australia - GoldLinq, the consortium that built it was made of many of the same players as our own GrandLinq. So I'd expect our system to look very similar when it comes to these kinds of details.

(22:30, for example - note the speeds and the path on the left)

So the chainlink fence on the other side of the trail around the zoo/animal pens isn't an eyesore at all?

I also just pulled that picture I posted from google streetview since I didn't think a photo during yesterday's downpour was a fair representation of this area. It's also muddy and if someone had time to render a fence into that picture I'm sure it would still look pretty nice.

The disadvantages of monorail's grade seperation become obvious any time anyone wants to board the train. Monorail would also ruin the view in the park more than any fence, even horrible chainlink would.
(04-10-2015, 08:29 AM)clasher Wrote: So the chainlink fence on the other side of the trail around the zoo/animal pens isn't an eyesore at all?

It is. But a chainlink corridor would be even worse.
I suppose but it can also disappear into the background easier than a black iron fence. They could also plant vines or shrubs along its length to make it look less industrial. I guess it all comes down to wether the city of Waterloo really wants to shell out for a nicer fence. I hope if they decide to improve that part of the park they will finally spend the money and pave that path, it's such a busy part of the trail system it really needs a paved surface.
Bombardier exploring options for rail business: report - The Globe and Mail 
Quote:Bombardier is exploring ways to raise money from its transportation unit, potentially worth up to $5-billion, as the Canadian group grapples with huge cost overruns in its aircraft business, six sources familiar with the matter said.

The world’s largest manufacturer of planes and trains is working with banks on strategic options for its transportation arm, which provides rail vehicles, signalling and control equipment, the sources said on Friday.

Options would include a possible sale of all or part of the business, as well as an initial public offering (IPO) to retain Bombardier’s exposure to the healthier half of the business, three sources said, declining to be named since the matter is private.

A merger with another sector peer such as Germany’s Siemens or France’s Alstom could also be considered, one of the sources said, as a tie-up between China’s biggest train makers CNR and CSR Corp last year is putting pressure on competitors to consolidate and gain scale...
Let's hope they get their act together so we can get trains in 2 years. I can't believe how far behind they are with the TTC orders.
Bombardier last turned a real profit many decades ago. Ever since then they have survived through government handouts. Their modus operandi is to threaten to close a large plant, get the union to stand behind them and apply political pressure when bidding for a local contract. Nationalist voices then step in and provide further support. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Which division is the closest to being a moneymaker, aviation or rail?
Has it been specified what body "a rail association" from the article made the ruling? Transport Canada? Rail Safety Association of Canada? Safe Rail Communities? Others?

Also are there specific regulations that the fence has to adhere to in the Railway Safety Act/Canada Transportation Act that would set out the parameters of the fencing?

I don't recall seeing the mention of a fence in any of the functional design drawings which had detailed new sound barriers and retaining walls.

I would be disappointed with another chain-link fence as I was already kind of hoping that the chain link "zoo" would eventually disappear too. I'd be ok with some of those black iron fence examples posted above.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »