Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(04-22-2021, 01:09 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: I saw some docs saying Pinebush, is likely to be the terminus of a Cambridge guelph go train

Every now and then somebody say run the Go train on the sub from Guelph to Hespeler Rd, but it rarely goes further than that. Waterloo Region has been doing a study on it focussing on Metrolinx adopting it into GO, but rumours (only, rumours, mind you, nothing serious) are that they want to run it as an independent line if Metrolinx won't.

Province Takes Next Step Towards Two-Way, All-Day GO Service on Kitchener Line

The business case + initial RFQ for upgrades to the Kitchener corridor are finally out. With Metrolinx issuing the RFQ we're finally seeing the first real action on 2WAD GO.

The only part I'm confused about, is that the business case suggests there's two options for 2WAD GO. A 98 min travel time with no rail-rail grade separate at Silver Junction, or a 90 min travel time with the grade separation. The business case says the costs aren't justified, and appears to recommend the 98 min travel time option. However, the release I've linked above says the expected travel time for Kitchener-Union is 90 mins.
On one hand: good news. On the other hand: I'll believe it when I'm sitting on a train in the middle of the day, until then, this sounds like 2022 election pandering rather than any serious plans. We've been hearing "soon" for far too long.
(04-30-2021, 01:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: On one hand: good news. On the other hand: I'll believe it when I'm sitting on a train in the middle of the day, until then, this sounds like 2022 election pandering rather than any serious plans. We've been hearing "soon" for far too long.

This is exactly how I feel.

The confusion at silver junction just reinforces that.  And I haven't heard CN weigh in on it at all yet.  The Liberals had a memorandum of understanding or something like that...we've heard nothing on this new plan.
(04-30-2021, 01:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 01:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: On one hand: good news. On the other hand: I'll believe it when I'm sitting on a train in the middle of the day, until then, this sounds like 2022 election pandering rather than any serious plans. We've been hearing "soon" for far too long.

This is exactly how I feel.

The confusion at silver junction just reinforces that.  And I haven't heard CN weigh in on it at all yet.  The Liberals had a memorandum of understanding or something like that...we've heard nothing on this new plan.

I must confess to some skepticism around the need for a grade separation at Silver. Just how many trains are there on the other line anyway, and just how long does it take the signals and switches to operate? Are we sure the switches can’t just be hooked up so they can change less than 5 minutes after a train has gone through? The main line is only 2 tracks — so trains from the Kitchener line only have to cross over at most one track to get where they are going. It’s not like trying to get from the southernmost track of the Lakeshore line into the northernmost track at Union Station.

But yeah, this is just the usual election pandering. Watch for Highway 7 to ramp up too in the next year or so. By the way, how’s that high speed rail study going? You know, the 320km/h one the Liberals were cooking up?
(04-30-2021, 02:01 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 01:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is exactly how I feel.

I must confess to some skepticism around the need for a grade separation at Silver. Just how many trains are there on the other line anyway, and just how long does it take the signals and switches to operate? Are we sure the switches can’t just be hooked up so they can change less than 5 minutes after a train has gone through? The main line is only 2 tracks — so trains from the Kitchener line only have to cross over at most one track to get where they are going. It’s not like trying to get from the southernmost track of the Lakeshore line into the northernmost track at Union Station.

But yeah, this is just the usual election pandering. Watch for Highway 7 to ramp up too in the next year or so. By the way, how’s that high speed rail study going? You know, the 320km/h one the Liberals were cooking up?

How long does a mainline CN freight train take to make it through the junction?

In general, I've given up on real transportation solutions here, or frankly, in Ontario in general, it's a big part of the motivation for moving.
I will be more confident about this announcement when we start getting similar ones about the Bramalea→Georgetown bottleneck. Until then, I doubt that 2WADGO will happen by 2025 as promised.

Cambridge to Union GO Rail Feasibility Study PHASE 2 REPORT Final – February 2021

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...b_2021.pdf
I'm of two minds on the Pinebush placement. It does meet up well with Ion, is in a well-trafficked area, and can serve as a development node. Yet it still strikes me as more than a little inefficient for how far down the line it goes.

I also don't see anything here about a station in Hespeler proper, but I'm sure it's in the cards.
(05-08-2021, 03:08 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm of two minds on the Pinebush placement. It does meet up well with Ion, is in a well-trafficked area, and can serve as a development node. Yet it still strikes me as more than a little inefficient for how far down the line it goes.

I also don't see anything here about a station in Hespeler proper, but I'm sure it's in the cards.

Why do you think it's too far down the line? There's not enough up there between the 401 and Eagle to make a commuter train station useful and valuable all by itself, and the split is only about 1,600m from where the LRT station will be. If that is as far as this Cambridge-Guelph mini-GO (CGMG) line will go, then Pinebush Station is the ideal stopping point, I feel.

What I would like to see is two stops in Cambridge—Pinebush with the LRT and one in Hespeler at Guelph St.
Yes, a Hespeler stop is pretty much mandatory. Maybe one in south Guelph too.
We need to remember, though, that this was just a feasibility study. The chance of Waterloo Region and Guelph/Wellington doing this on their own is next to zero. Same chance for the current provincial government adding this to Metrolinx's goals, too, I would guess.

Why does Cambridge need a GO Train connection? They barely want the LRT. They try to shoot down every new development in the city. With such little development, it doesn't seem like there'd be a lot of riders...I mean, how many people from Cambridge are regularly travelling to anywhere in the GTA on a daily basis (maybe they go to Guelph, but to build an entire train for that...?) It seems like the last place to consider a separate GO Train line...especially when the one to Kitchener sucks and we are planning on spending 100 million on a new train station already. It makes more sense to me to just get the Kitchener GO line that offers two way all day service, then have the LRT be the link for people going from Cambridge to the train station (and to whatever destination they have on the GO Train).
(05-09-2021, 07:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: Why does Cambridge need a GO Train connection? They barely want the LRT. They try to shoot down every new development in the city. With such little development, it doesn't seem like there'd be a lot of riders...I mean, how many people from Cambridge are regularly travelling to anywhere in the GTA on a daily basis (maybe they go to Guelph, but to build an entire train for that...?) It seems like the last place to consider a separate GO Train line...especially when the one to Kitchener sucks and we are planning on spending 100 million on a new train station already. It makes more sense to me to just get the Kitchener GO line that offers two way all day service, then have the LRT be the link for people going from Cambridge to the train station (and to whatever destination they have on the GO Train).
It would be a long commute to take the ION from Downtown Cambridge to Kitchener and then catch a 2-hour train to Toronto. You aren't going to get anybody out of their cars that way.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »