Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
83-87 Weber St E | 32 fl | Proposed
She's running for MPP (not MP). I'm not voting for her - definitely - but I wonder if she would do less harm as a powerless MPP than she does as a regional NIMBY counsellor.

(10-03-2023, 09:29 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: She's running for MPP (not MP). I'm not voting for her - definitely - but I wonder if she would do less harm as a powerless MPP than she does as a regional NIMBY counsellor.

I've wondered this myself, if taking her out of the conversations happening around individual buildings would be a positive thing. That said, we also don't know who could be elected to fill her ward spot if she wins her election; it could be someone who digs their heels in even harder.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Stuff like this is why I am so utterly politically apathetic these days. When it comes to Canadian elections (I'm more involved in the Irish and EU elections) I only vote because I feel obligated to cast a vote for the lesser of all the evils. In the end it doesn't really matter because nothing ever really gets better.
(10-03-2023, 01:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: In the end it doesn't really matter because nothing ever really gets better.

Some things never seem to get better. Other things definitely do. Think back to how things were 25 years ago, and many things are definitely better. Some random federal/provincial examples: less pollution, some free dental care, improved CPP, (restored!) green belt, sexual minority rights, many treaty disputes resolved (and many, though not all, water issues resolved), easier certification of foreign nurses/doctors, Freedom of Information Act. And there is more.

The point is not that everything is better, but many things certainly are.
(10-03-2023, 05:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-03-2023, 01:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: In the end it doesn't really matter because nothing ever really gets better.

Some things never seem to get better. Other things definitely do. Think back to how things were 25 years ago, and many things are definitely better. Some random federal/provincial examples: less pollution, some free dental care, improved CPP, (restored!) green belt, sexual minority rights, many treaty disputes resolved (and many, though not all, water issues resolved), easier certification of foreign nurses/doctors, Freedom of Information Act. And there is more.

None of what you listed matters when you cannot afford a roof over your head or cannot afford to put food on the table...
(10-03-2023, 11:49 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(10-03-2023, 05:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Some things never seem to get better. Other things definitely do. Think back to how things were 25 years ago, and many things are definitely better. Some random federal/provincial examples: less pollution, some free dental care, improved CPP, (restored!) green belt, sexual minority rights, many treaty disputes resolved (and many, though not all, water issues resolved), easier certification of foreign nurses/doctors, Freedom of Information Act. And there is more.

None of what you listed matters when you cannot afford a roof over your head or cannot afford to put food on the table...

Gotta solve all the issues. I would dispute any all-or-nothing framing. We work on the problems that are tractable as we are best able to.
I take heart in the electoral change we saw in Manitoba yesterday. A solid, progressive platform was put forward by the NDP and the electorate responded.

Council didn't approve this tonight and are deferring it to a special council meeting on October 30th. October 30th is the last day they can legally approve or deny it without refunding half of the application fee. I went and looked back at the recent applications and its interesting to see that Vive's 50 Borden proposal hasn't come to council yet since it came before this proposal, it makes it seem as if there is a redesign to some degree happening.

The new building that Vive brought forward tonight is for a 32 floor building with 441 units up from 336, of these 24 are affordable (80% market rate). There are also some accessible units proposed. The buildings FSR would go from 14 up to 18. 18 is by far one of highest FSRs in a Kitchener development, the two 50+ floor building on Borden only have an FSR of about 16, the only one I could find that is denser just from scanning the applications quickly is Vanmar's 55 floor building.
Did they elaborate on why they didn't approve it?
(10-16-2023, 08:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: Did they elaborate on why they didn't approve it?

It was basically Vive gave the changes to planning staff on Wednesday, this plan included a 2m side yard set back which staff really didn't like, Vive then kept refining it over Thursday/Friday and then today they submitted a further revised plan that had set backs of 5-6m but it was submitted so late that staff didn't have time to go over it and draft a new bylaw, which ultimately resulted in councillors to defer it to the 30th so staff can have more time to work through it with Vive. It's so annoying how council keeps saying we need more density/housing and are asking developers for extra height, yet they somehow expect the developers to come back with a perfect revised plan in a matter of 1-2 weeks. They can always approve the height and density now and work out issues related to set backs at the site plan approval stage via a holding provision.
(10-16-2023, 10:19 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 08:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: Did they elaborate on why they didn't approve it?

It was basically Vive gave the changes to planning staff on Wednesday, this plan included a 2m side yard set back which staff really didn't like, Vive then kept refining it over Thursday/Friday and then today they submitted a further revised plan that had set backs of 5-6m but it was submitted so late that staff didn't have time to go over it and draft a new bylaw, which ultimately resulted in councillors to defer it to the 30th so staff can have more time to work through it with Vive. It's so annoying how council keeps saying we need more density/housing and are asking developers for extra height, yet they somehow expect the developers to come back with a perfect revised plan in a matter of 1-2 weeks. They can always approve the height and density now and work out issues related to set backs at the site plan approval stage via a holding provision.

What’s with the side setbacks? All the best parts of towns in Ontario have zero side setbacks and a continuous streetwall. All they’re missing is a continuous portico.
(10-16-2023, 08:30 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Council didn't approve this tonight and are deferring it to a special council meeting on October 30th. October 30th is the last day they can legally approve or deny it without refunding half of the application fee. I went and looked back at the recent applications and its interesting to see that Vive's 50 Borden proposal hasn't come to council yet since it came before this proposal, it makes it seem as if there is a redesign to some degree happening.

The new building that Vive brought forward tonight is for a 32 floor building with 441 units up from 336, of these 24 are affordable (80% market rate). There are also some accessible units proposed. The buildings FSR would go from 14 up to 18. 18 is by far one of highest FSRs in a Kitchener development, the two 50+ floor building on Borden only have an FSR of about 16, the only one I could find that is denser just from scanning the applications quickly is Vanmar's 55 floor building.

Q Condos is like 26
I would also argue that 80% of market rate is not affordable.  According the CMHC, housing that costs less than 30% of a household's pre-tax income is affordable.

Vive is proposing that 5% of their building be affordable.  If the additional 105 units were affordable, then the increase might be palatable.  If Vive was able to make enough profit on the first 336 units, then adding the rest shouldn't break the bank.  Presumably, all of the fixed costs of the building were factored into building the first 336 units.  Yes, this means that the first 336 unit owners are 'subsidizing' the other 105, but as we've heard all over the place, 'we're in this together and we can't wait for someone else to solve the problem."

I think the council is asking for more density, and that's driving the increase in height more than the (somewhat) affordable units.
(10-18-2023, 08:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think the council is asking for more density, and that's driving the increase in height more than the (somewhat) affordable units.

Council legally can't require affordable units because of the changes to the planning act, that is until inclusionary zoning comes in. Council can ask for an increase in density which is what is happening but they can't ask a developer to increase the height for more affordable units. What Vive is doing is technically above and beyond what council can require, yes 80% of market isn't affordable but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »