Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
417 King St W | 55 fl | Proposed
Will the crane even be close to 235 meters? That's 771'.

Also, when looking at the map, those airlines would be making quite a sharp turn towards the north to come close to this project. A straight line, takes you over Rockway Golf course.

Anyway., interesting.

This was approved last night at council without opposition from anyone (even Chapman). At the original committee meeting on October 30th staff wanted it to be deferred because of the NAVCAN issue, so council had no discussion surrounding it. Last night when it was brought forward again staff/VanMar said that NAVCAN has no issues with it and council had no questions for the applicant or even staff so it immediately got approval. It's certainly strange to see such a tall building get approved that easily.
(12-12-2023, 02:13 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: This was approved last night at council without opposition from anyone (even Chapman). At the original committee meeting on October 30th staff wanted it to be deferred because of the NAVCAN issue, so council had no discussion surrounding it. Last night when it was brought forward again staff/VanMar said that NAVCAN has no issues with it and council had no questions for the applicant or even staff so it immediately got approval. It's certainly strange to see such a tall building get approved that easily.

This is good news. The city needs to approve as many builds as they can. As for Anti-Housing Minister Chapman, I don't think this is in district, so no need to go against after losing an MPP spot for the NDP.
Word on the street is that Chapman's run for NDP and the backlash she got from the local population humbled her after every other person in the region sent her an email telling her how she was actually really bad at her job, so now she's just keeping her head down so she can hold on to that pension. Just joking.

But good news.
(12-12-2023, 06:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: Word on the street is that Chapman's run for NDP and the backlash she got from the local population humbled her after every other person in the region sent her an email telling her how she was actually really bad at her job, so now she's just keeping her head down so she can hold on to that pension. Just joking.

But good news.
There very well may be some semblance of truth here. I can’t think of another time when she had the same sort of spot light, and when her record so loudly questioned. 

I’m sure she lives in her own echo chamber just like us, so hopefully her run for MPP gave her an opportunity to hear some voices in the community that she had normally tuned out, and that she realized how much she has personally contributed to the number one political issue facing the city right now.
(12-11-2023, 07:10 AM)jeffster Wrote: Will the crane even be close to 235 meters? That's 771'.

Also, when looking at the map, those airlines would be making quite a sharp turn towards the north to come close to this project. A straight line, takes you over Rockway Golf course.

Anyway., interesting.

Not being a pilot, I can't say what last minute height changes pilots might need to make when they are approaching or leaving the airport. For instance, I can imagine that Pearson airport has a pretty wide height limit cone around it that would prevent anything higher than the control tower within a certain radius.
(12-12-2023, 02:13 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: This was approved last night at council without opposition from anyone (even Chapman). At the original committee meeting on October 30th staff wanted it to be deferred because of the NAVCAN issue, so council had no discussion surrounding it. Last night when it was brought forward again staff/VanMar said that NAVCAN has no issues with it and council had no questions for the applicant or even staff so it immediately got approval. It's certainly strange to see such a tall building get approved that easily.

Anyone wanna have a competition and see who guesses the closest to when shovels are in the ground AND when completion is.

(12-12-2023, 09:57 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(12-12-2023, 06:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: Word on the street is that Chapman's run for NDP and the backlash she got from the local population humbled her after every other person in the region sent her an email telling her how she was actually really bad at her job, so now she's just keeping her head down so she can hold on to that pension. Just joking.

But good news.
There very well may be some semblance of truth here. I can’t think of another time when she had the same sort of spot light, and when her record so loudly questioned. 

I’m sure she lives in her own echo chamber just like us, so hopefully her run for MPP gave her an opportunity to hear some voices in the community that she had normally tuned out, and that she realized how much she has personally contributed to the number one political issue facing the city right now.

To be fair, I read the other article about school zones, and Debbie Chapman also was quoted saying something reasonable there about how it was OK to have lower speed limits in the school zones because they just weren't that long.
(12-12-2023, 10:13 PM)nms Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 07:10 AM)jeffster Wrote: Will the crane even be close to 235 meters? That's 771'.

Anyway., interesting.

Not being a pilot, I can't say what last minute height changes pilots might need to make when they are approaching or leaving the airport.  For instance, I can imagine that Pearson airport has a pretty wide height limit cone around it that would prevent anything higher than the control tower within a certain radius.

I'm not a pilot, although I was supposed to be! Was all signed up then the wife freaked out, as my first day of training was on her BD and she thought something bad would happen, and she clipped my wings. Oddly enough, there was an incident at the airport on that day. Plenty of simulator time though (not the same).

Anyway, on topic of height, even if it was a straight line to the airport, any jetliner would have a decent that wouldn't be interfered with this.
(12-12-2023, 11:01 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:

Anyone wanna have a competition and see who guesses the closest to when shovels are in the ground AND when completion is.

I'd guess shovels in the ground late 2025 at best, though more likely late 2026. No clue about the completion though, I'm sure that'd be way off. VanMar has a couple projects on the go so I don't know how fast they'd be wanting to start this one.
(12-13-2023, 03:21 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(12-12-2023, 11:01 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Anyone wanna have a competition and see who guesses the closest to when shovels are in the ground AND when completion is.

I'd guess shovels in the ground late 2025 at best, though more likely late 2026. No clue about the completion though, I'm sure that'd be way off. VanMar has a couple projects on the go so I don't know how fast they'd be wanting to start this one.

Plus IN8 is using the building next to Halls lane, so are they going to demolish most of the building and leave that one part?
Which building do you mean? There's only the condo, U-Haul and the main building Ziggy's was in. I think all the businesses that were in Ziggy's have moved or are waiting to move...I think the only tenant left is some quack naturopath and chriopratic scam artist since their website says they'll be in a new location as of January 2024.

Who knows, though. Maybe VanMar has enough money and confidence to start construction ASAP. Maybe someone who is more in tune with the realtor side of things knows more. Did sales for units even start yet? That's usually what dictates this stage of things.
(12-13-2023, 07:14 PM)ac3r Wrote: Which building do you mean? There's only the condo, U-Haul and the main building Ziggy's was in. I think all the businesses that were in Ziggy's have moved or are waiting to move...I think the only tenant left is some quack naturopath and chriopratic scam artist since their website says they'll be in a new location as of January 2024.

Who knows, though. Maybe VanMar has enough money and confidence to start construction ASAP. Maybe someone who is more in tune with the realtor side of things knows more. Did sales for units even start yet? That's usually what dictates this stage of things.

The In8 site office for TeK tower is on the Halls Lane side of the Ziggy's building. They do have trailers on Francis Road, though, so maybe site office trailers are the solution to that? 

That U-Haul is going to be incredibly funny in a couple of years. Are they planning on cashing out their real estate there?

(12-13-2023, 11:57 PM)coriander Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 07:14 PM)ac3r Wrote: Which building do you mean? There's only the condo, U-Haul and the main building Ziggy's was in. I think all the businesses that were in Ziggy's have moved or are waiting to move...I think the only tenant left is some quack naturopath and chriopratic scam artist since their website says they'll be in a new location as of January 2024.

The In8 site office for TeK tower is on the Halls Lane side of the Ziggy's building. They do have trailers on Francis Road, though, so maybe site office trailers are the solution to that? 

That U-Haul is going to be incredibly funny in a couple of years. Are they planning on cashing out their real estate there?

I doubt U-Haul sells.  Look at the McDonalds building by Station Park, it has been sitting empty and even during the development boom they still held on this land.
(12-14-2023, 02:57 AM)Square Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 11:57 PM)coriander Wrote: The In8 site office for TeK tower is on the Halls Lane side of the Ziggy's building. They do have trailers on Francis Road, though, so maybe site office trailers are the solution to that? 

I doubt U-Haul sells.  Look at the McDonalds building by Station Park, it has been sitting empty and even during the development boom they still held on this land.

Having longterm storage and truck rentals downtown does make some sense. There's a lot of people who might not have the space in their homes to store large items, and need the occasional truck rental to move big things. That said, it would be awesome to see UHaul move into the main floor of a multistorey building for their storage units, and have a designated section in an underground garage for their pickups and small moving trucks, with several floors of residential above them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »