Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
(12-19-2016, 06:55 PM)Canard Wrote: A nice little video about the first day of service with the new trains:

I love that you still see one of the old old coaches (8:45 mark) running on the line in that video!

Great spotting - that's the Kaiserwagen! Much like Toronto runs their vintage streetcars, so too does Wuppertal with their one preserved train.
Some recent photos from Bombardier's Millhaven facility.

Welcome to Bombardier Kingston!

The main hall has been recently expanded; on the back, here, with 8 bays for FLEXITY Freedom production.  Trains no. 2 through 14 for ION will be built, here.

Resting out on the main test loop, an INNOVIA Metro 300 train.  This is the third-generation of contactless Linear Induction Motor (LIM) propelled systems - the bread and butter of what this facility was built for.  They've recently finished off an order for Kuala Lumpur and Vancouver for these sleek, fully-automated vehicles.

The main LIM test track, with some new Catenary in the background for FLEXITY.

The control tower oversees operations for the LIM test track.

At the West end of the facility, we see the MOVIA/FLEXITY high speed test track.

Metrolinx' Pilot FLEXITY Freedom LRV will be stretching its legs along this section, soon!

It's now equipped with both third-rail (for MOVIA) and OCS (for FLEXITY) power supply.

The monorail test track hasn't been used for a while now, with Bombardier's two current projects for this product line well underway.
Monorail!

The INNOVIA family now includes Metro, APM, and Monorail.

Thanks to Jon for pointing this one out to me!

Rennes, France, is building their second automated metro line - ligne b.  Ligne a was constructed using Siemens VAL technology, and they use the current generation 208 trainsets.

For ligne b, they selected the all-new CityVal system, developed by Siemens and Lohr.  It uses a greatly simplified guidance concept (used on Lohr's Translohr "Tram-on-Tires" systems) consisting of a central rail and two flat concrete rolling surfaces for the rubber tires on the vehicle.

[Image: Csyv6ppWYAAbVj3.jpg]
Prototype vehicle at the Lohr test track near Strasbourg, France

Siemens has begun assembly on the first 3 vehicles, which will be delivered later in the spring to the (very beautiful) maintenance facility (Garages Atilier).

[Image: 20140224SIEMENSRENNES_1_large.jpg]

[Image: P2531493D2154386G_px_640_.jpg]

The line is scheduled to open in 2020.

CityVal was recently proposed in Oakville, but was rejected.
I'm not sure Oakville's big enough to justify it yet. Probably a matter of time before the growth begins now that Mississauga is almost built out.
(02-26-2017, 01:15 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: I'm not sure Oakville's big enough to justify it yet. Probably a matter of time before the growth begins now that Mississauga is almost built out.

It’s a cool system but I must confess to being unclear on the advantage over LRT. I think I see one significant disadvantage: how could you construct a level crossing for that?
You don't - it's AGT... not everything needs level crossings!

To clarify: It's better to have higher-order transit either elevated or underground, because it's safer, and faster. Light Rail is the cheapest entry into the "Rapid Transit" foray, but with that you get all the mess that goes along with interfacing with other ground users - like it can't go as fast, and you'll have injuries and deaths from collisions.
(02-26-2017, 05:59 PM)Canard Wrote: You don't - it's AGT... not everything needs level crossings!

To clarify:  It's better to have higher-order transit either elevated or underground, because it's safer, and faster. Light Rail is the cheapest entry into the "Rapid Transit" foray, but with that you get all the mess that goes along with interfacing with other ground users - like it can't go as fast, and you'll have injuries and deaths from collisions.

Yes, I know it is, ceteris paribus, better to be grade-separated, and as you know, many LRT systems are built fully or almost fully grade-separated for this reason.

But the inability to have a level crossing is a disadvantage. What can this system do that LRT can’t? I know one thing LRT can do that it can’t: have a level crossing in a low-traffic situation (e.g. carhouse access) where the benefit of allowing the crossing hugely outweighs the infinitesimal risk of collision.
(02-26-2017, 05:59 PM)Canard Wrote: To clarify:  It's better to have higher-order transit either elevated or underground, because it's safer, and faster.

Yes. But also less convenient for passengers (stairs/elevators), and considerably more expensive.  In our situation, I think LRT is the correct choice, even if it lacks the cool factor of some of the other options.

(02-26-2017, 07:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: ....hugely outweighs the infinitesimal risk of collision.

Houston says hi
Toronto too, only 3 days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAi9N2avdM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »