Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
/\ Awesomeness!

Is it just perspective playing a trick, or are those crossing lights back-to-back? It that the lights on the two poles are facing each other in such a way that no one would actually be able to see them. It really seems unnecessary to have lights on both of those poles.

It could actually even be a safety issue. Too many distractions confuse people, and bright flashing lights qualify. I expect it now, but turning right onto Erb from Bridgeport is the perfect example of this. There is an extremely bright red train signal light that flashes into the peripheral vision just as you cross the rails. It is surprising and unexpected and my instinct was to stop suddenly (I didn't) because something alarming and important had just entered the equation in a situation that is confusing enough as it is.
Those are all great questions and observations, Jamincan. I know exactly what you mean about that dwarf signal there - this is the exact reason that the signals for proceed and stop for the LRV's are white, and non-round - they are far less likely to be confused by a motorist.

I can't answer your question about the crossing lights because I still don't have a clear picture in my mind of where all of them are situated with respect to the roads and sidewalks.

I'm planing on being up that way today at some point, so I'll print out a map and take it with me and see if I can figure it out (unless someone else has a pretty good idea of the configuration already Smile ).
Jan 31
A lot more crews working this year than last year.

100 photos from my visit are up om my Flickr site
[Image: 32651810495_5c6fe86cdd_b.jpg]
[Image: 31839670043_18e1b2fe93_b.jpg]
[Image: 32498908532_f2aa0e7e29_b.jpg]
[Image: 32272573030_c3e019998f_b.jpg]
[Image: 31808806314_eeaf0c02a8_b.jpg]
[Image: 32498802162_bb40f0f5ea_b.jpg]
(02-04-2017, 10:28 AM)drum118 Wrote: Jan 31
A lot more crews working this year than last year.

100 photos from my visit are up om my Flickr site

100 photos!  Could you please post the link to your Flickr?  Thanks!
So I drove past Waterloo Town Square. That area is going to be lit like a tree every time a train goes by. This is looking like one of those situations where the regulations lead to a worse outcomes; I can't see this being safer than something that responds to the context a bit better.
(02-04-2017, 02:08 PM)jamincan Wrote: So I drove past Waterloo Town Square. That area is going to be lit like a tree every time a train goes by. This is looking like one of those situations where the regulations lead to a worse outcomes; I can't see this being safer than something that responds to the context a bit better.

The thing I don't get about Erb and Caroline is that there are already a full set of traffic signals there. Why do the regulations require railway signals on top of those? Is it really just because there is heavy rail in that area two times each weeknight?

I sometimes wish that we hadn't used the spur line for ION. I thought it would end up being less disruptive, but instead we have ended up with fences cutting through one of our beloved parks, and railway gates and signals at busy intersections.

I tend to agree with you, timc.

If anything good can come of it, maybe it will be that once it's up and running, regulators (Transport Canada) might come visit and be willing to relax the rules or make an exemption for us, and for future LRT lines. (i.e., by having them only activate for freight)

...although the pessimistic part of me says "no" with the logic that if there's a railway crossing warning system there, you have to activate it, because if people see them not illuminated they'll think "yay no train I can go".
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread but I can see unaware cyclists having issues getting their wheels stuck in the rails along certain crossovers. Namely at King/Allen and Wellington/King(whenever they get that done).
(02-04-2017, 01:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 10:28 AM)drum118 Wrote: 100 photos from my visit are up om my Flickr site

100 photos!  Could you please post the link to your Flickr?  Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/se...6082534850

Flickr puts the newest at the end, so you'll have to scroll some...
(02-05-2017, 12:20 AM)timc Wrote: The thing I don't get about Erb and Caroline is that there are already a full set of traffic signals there. Why do the regulations require railway signals on top of those?

It's the 'right on red' that'd kill people if that were the case though.

Which isn't to say that the quantity of lights and gates that they used isn't overkill...
(02-05-2017, 09:26 AM)KevinT Wrote: It's the 'right on red' that'd kill people if that were the case though.

In cases where a right-on-red might result in a collision, they have the big black box that illuminates to indicate you should not turn.

(02-05-2017, 09:00 AM)C Plus Wrote: Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread but I can see unaware cyclists having issues getting their wheels stuck in the rails along certain crossovers. Namely at King/Allen and Wellington/King(whenever they get that done).

The "chicane" spots where the tracks ease from centre-running to outboard-running (or vice-versa) are the worst.  Here's the technique I use:

I find 30 degrees is all you really need, if you hold the handlebars firmly - but obviously, as perpendicular as possible is better.  I've actually had far worse experiences cycling at non-perpendicular angles over concrete/pavement transitions (i.e. Road > MUT interfaces) than I have with tracks!
And just like that Mill station appears:

Another curing structure where the track along the hydro corridor meets Courtland. Does this mean the only section of track left is between Wellington and Victoria on King?

Wooden fence along where hydro corridor meets at Courtland:

In Canard's photo of the crossover near PI, why did they use wooden poles for stabalizing there when everywhere else is metal?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(02-05-2017, 11:15 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Does this mean the only section of track left is between Wellington and Victoria on King?
The only place where track needs to be laid, yes, I believe so. There are some spots with track in place that has yet to be welded/aligned/embedded.
(02-05-2017, 11:15 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: In Canard's photo of the crossover near PI, why did they use wooden poles for stabalizing there when everywhere else is metal?

Just temporary, for the "test track" configuration. Once the final catenary is strung, these will be removed.

The trains are so late, though, that it may very well be that the final catenary will be in place and they would have been completely unnecessary.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »