Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-24-2017, 10:36 AM)urbd Wrote: Wow... what a boring and sterile wall.

So ... I think it's better-looking than the TPSS itself.  Not exciting, but at least has some texture.

(07-24-2017, 10:36 AM)urbd Wrote: Wow... what a boring and sterile wall.

Do you think the TPSS looked better without it?
I wonder how much the wall cost. I don't think it looks thousands of dollars better than the TPSS (I don't happen to think they look that bad, though).
I don't think they could have done much better in the built context at Conestoga, no.

Other TPSSes and signal boxes have more greenery around them, though, and I'd like to see plantings like tall shrubs used in those spots. Honestly, the entire project could use more greenery, period.
It looks the worst when it's at this stage (everything almost complete, but still dirt) - as soon as the sod goes in, it looks infinitely better, I find.

There is a lot of bare, open concrete, though - I'm looking at you, South end of Kitchener Market station!

There are plants going in at lots of places, though, like Waterloo Public Square, and the access to FDB Drive across the tracks.
My guess is that the concrete wall there is in part a crash defense mechanism. There are no other places where they're right in front of a road where cars drive toward them.
Hmm, I... I honestly can't imagine that's the case. It's a parking lot for CIBC. Based on the amount of damage that happened at Columbia, I would think that one is far more vulnerable! And the one at Block Line. If they wanted protection from a crash, they would have just put in those big round vertical columns, or an MTO-approved steel guardrail-type barrier. These wall panels will just crack if you drove into them. Pretty sure they are cosmetic.

My guess is this is buried somewhere in the Project Agreement that certain areas require them.

(07-24-2017, 11:27 AM)Canard Wrote: It looks the worst when it's at this stage (everything almost complete, but still dirt) - as soon as the sod goes in, it looks infinitely better, I find.

There is a lot of bare, open concrete, though - I'm looking at you, South end of Kitchener Market station!

There are plants going in at lots of places, though, like Waterloo Public Square, and the access to FDB Drive across the tracks.

East end, perhaps?  Wink
I had asked the project team about something I thought about on the weekend.

Right now, pedestrians are guided through the Grade Separation on the road. The sidewalks look to be weeks away - still bare earth, ungraded, under the tracks and further South toward Victoria.

If the plan is to re-open this to traffic on Friday, where will pedestrians will be accommodated?

Apparently, they're going to fast-track one of the two paths/MUT's through the underpass. I'm curious if this will be possible! The amount of work to be done to pull this off looks too great, but GrandLinq has surprised in the past with big pushes at the last possible moment.
I don't think the sidewalk (MUT) construction is really that complicated. Just need a focused effort!
(07-24-2017, 04:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think the sidewalk (MUT) construction is really that complicated.  Just need a focused effort!

And enough time for the concrete to set?
Given this reply about the timeline for completion of a ~3m section, I'd beg to differ!

In all seriousness - they need to properly fill the earth, grade it, flaten it, build the forms, pour the concrete, let it set, remove the forms, backfill the edges and then do whatever other treatment in the area is required.

That's the bare minimum - and all has to be carried out within the confines of the retaining walls on both sides (embankment/bridge sides, and the retaining wall separating the MUT from the road).
Could they do a temporary one in asphalt, and redo in concrete later?

Sounds like there's likely to be closures to that road (albeit temporary) to create this MUT. Would be difficult to imagine them doing it without using up enough of the roadway as to stop traffic from passing through.
But the MUT section is completely separated from the road via a retaining wall.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »