Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
They started digging up the William / Caroline intersection today. The asphalt's gone and there's already a sizeable hole in the middle.

There's a contraption I'm guessing to be a groundwater purification rig running in the parking lot on the west side of Caroline. Can anyone add any info as to whether or not this may be the case? Not really sure where the water comes from or goes to, but there are a number of large hoses running along the ground in the area.

If it's what I think it is (blue sea-can thing), it's been on Caroline in various places for some time now. I think I saw something on the side that suggested it is a pump, but I could be mistaken.
(06-01-2015, 10:49 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: In Europe I saw rubber crossings abutting the rail on both sides. So when you cycle there is no slot in which your wheel may get trapped. Rail cars are so massively heavy that they just compress the rubber down and out of the way when going through.

I have heard that this is being considered for the section of the Waterloo spur line corridor between King and Regina, in order for that narrow space to be a shared pathway.
(06-01-2015, 11:12 PM)jamincan Wrote: If it's what I think it is (blue sea-can thing), it's been on Caroline in various places for some time now. I think I saw something on the side that suggested it is a pump, but I could be mistaken.

If construction has to happen below the water table, these units remove, then filter and clean the water until it can be released to the sewer (storm or sanitary - depends how bad the water is). Often used in areas of groundwater contamination, but can also be used for filtering fine grained material before discharge.
(05-31-2015, 08:56 PM)Canard Wrote: I personally don't know, but I assume they know what they're doing...

That's what their bid documents said, so it must be true.  At least, since they will also operate the track, hopefully they are prepared to handle the required maintenance. I wonder how soon we might see unpredicted externalities pop up that become the responsibility of the Region to cover the cost of remediation?
??!??
(06-02-2015, 11:38 AM)nms Wrote: I wonder how soon we might see unpredicted externalities pop up that become the responsibility of the Region to cover the cost of remediation?

Personally, I wonder how soon the cynics will find another target for their cynicism. This one is pretty tired.

Quote:Charles and Gaukel, in Kitchener will be extended until approximately Wednesday June 17. An undisclosed hydro duct substructure (concrete structure) was discovered late last week. Due to the weather conditions on Friday and Saturday we were not able to evaluate the condition of the structure until Monday. After assessing the structure, resequencing our work to bring in additional equipment to break through the concrete and ensuring the live hydro duct is adequately supported, we require additional time to complete the work in the intersection.

Source: http://rideion.ca/construction-updates.html
King St. Closes for good June 8 to begin the grade separation!!
Finally, the detour of route 6 will be justified!
(06-02-2015, 10:26 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(06-02-2015, 11:38 AM)nms Wrote: I wonder how soon we might see unpredicted externalities pop up that become the responsibility of the Region to cover the cost of remediation?

Personally, I wonder how soon the cynics will find another target for their cynicism. This one is pretty tired.

On time and on budget? Cambridge express buses won't be ready until July
However, after re-reading the article, it's not clear if this express bus work is the aBRT portion of the ION, or the iXpress portion of the rapid transit work in Cambridge.  Either way, surprises are a fact of life in infrastructure work.

If this kind of surprise were to be found in the ION right-of-way, who covers the cost of the extra work? Grandlinq, or the Region?
It'll be interesting to watch the King underpass progress; I imagine it'll go much the same way as Weber as far as technique goes. When I talked last to the engineers they noted that ultimately the track would end up higher here - they're planing to shallow the steep climb West of King by drawing it out. I wonder how they'll do that from a logistics standpoint as that line is so heavily used.
I have been surprised that the underpass project hasn't started yet given that it is a good 18-month project and they want the track available for testing in 2016.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(06-04-2015, 05:08 AM)Canard Wrote: It'll be interesting to watch the King underpass progress; I imagine it'll go much the same way as Weber as far as technique goes. When I talked last to the engineers they noted that ultimately the track would end up higher here - they're planing to shallow the steep climb West of King by drawing it out. I wonder how they'll do that from a logistics standpoint as that line is so heavily used.

I think you're right in the technique part of it.  I'm hoping it's faster though because they don't have to build a road to go around it first.  
Faster? Weber St. seemed like it went really, really fast, given the scope of work involved. I imagine King would take a little longer. Although for King, they won't have to make a bypass road like they did for Weber.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »