Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inter-region transit

PC Connect seems great, but I can't imagine it being too successful. The schedule seems pretty good, and the fares are reasonable. The whole calling to book your trip thing is a bit odd in this day and age.

Transit between Guelph always seemed like a no-brainer to me, and I don't understand why both regions aren't working to make it happen together. I don't think I know a single person from KW who cares the slightest bit about Cambridge (living there, working there, having something positive to say about it, etc.), but I know quite a few people who work or go to school in Guelph. Every single one of those people complain about the commute.

Edit: Maybe one day GO can help fill the gap between KW and Guelph, but I don't think that should be counted on any time soon.
I imagine their downtown connection was planned when we hoped to have the new transit hub open by now; with the delays there it seems they've gone with an alternative.

As for the Perth service bookings, I understand the call-in is the initial setup and a web or app based service will come later.
Ever since I moved to Kitchener, I would read about events in Guelph that I would be interested in attending, but the complete lack of transit options made it impossible. There used to be a Greyhound bus but they kept cutting back service and required advanced booking and now they are gone. Downtown Guelph is almost as close to downtown Kitchener as downtown Cambridge. It is ridiculous that there is no regular bus service.
Buses to Guelph would be great. There is often a lot of art and music events I'd like to go to but I never have a regular way to Guelph.

As Acitta mentioned, downtown Guelph is roughly the same distance as downtown Cambridge so I've always wondered why they don't have buses that run between the cities. It's only about a 30 minute drive. It would be great for people taking a day trip, or even people who work in Kitchener/Guelph.
(11-14-2020, 11:17 AM)ac3r Wrote: Buses to Guelph would be great. There is often a lot of art and music events I'd like to go to but I never have a regular way to Guelph.

As Acitta mentioned, downtown Guelph is roughly the same distance as downtown Cambridge so I've always wondered why they don't have buses that run between the cities. It's only about a 30 minute drive. It would be great for people taking a day trip, or even people who work in Kitchener/Guelph.

I wonder how hard it was to get to Cambridge before amalgamation of transit (i.e. formation of GRT). I imagine it's political as much as anything.
(11-14-2020, 09:43 PM)plam Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 11:17 AM)ac3r Wrote: Buses to Guelph would be great. There is often a lot of art and music events I'd like to go to but I never have a regular way to Guelph.

I wonder how hard it was to get to Cambridge before amalgamation of transit (i.e. formation of GRT). I imagine it's political as much as anything.

If I am understanding my history right, and it is entirely possible that I am not, it was more difficult, but still not impossible. This has to do with the fact that KW and Cambridge are essentially right next to each other, while Guelph and KW have space between them that is neither Waterloo region nor Guelph.

Which means even taking the bus to the extreme edge of both territories leaves significant distance between those two points, where as in Cambridge I believe you'd have been able to transfer between the systems.

That being said, even after GRT formed, I think it probably took until the 200 was created before there was a seamless region wide route (which of course, technically no longer exists, although it should in the future).

The 200 only went to Fairway at first; the 52 was the first route to properly connect the cities. Before the GRT amalgamation you'd have to take a Greyhound or something to connect across.
(11-14-2020, 10:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: The 200 only went to Fairway at first; the 52 was the first route to properly connect the cities. Before the GRT amalgamation you'd have to take a Greyhound or something to connect across.

Was there no service to Conestoga College from Cambridge before.

I can only confirm that Kitchener transit had service to Conestoga College before GRT, I was presuming that Cambridge transit would have also had service there, it being a school in Cambridge.
(11-14-2020, 11:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 10:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: The 200 only went to Fairway at first; the 52 was the first route to properly connect the cities. Before the GRT amalgamation you'd have to take a Greyhound or something to connect across.

Was there no service to Conestoga College from Cambridge before.

I can only confirm that Kitchener transit had service to Conestoga College before GRT, I was presuming that Cambridge transit would have also had service there, it being a school in Cambridge.

Doon Campus is and always has been in Kitchener, the Cambridge campus across the 401 opened in 2011. But from what I can find they did have a route to Doon Campus before amalgamation of transit services.
(11-15-2020, 12:31 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 11:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Was there no service to Conestoga College from Cambridge before.

Doon Campus is and always has been in Kitchener, the Cambridge campus across the 401 opened in 2011. But from what I can find they did have a route to Doon Campus before amalgamation of transit services.

Interesting, I did not know that.
PC Connect launched today. I'll be curious to see how successful this is. I think it can offer a great way to get to Stratford, London and all the small towns west of us and I'll probably use it if it doesn't get shut down. It's a bit unfortunate they launched it in November because I'm sure the ridership would be higher in warmer months as people can take a day trip somewhere.

I would hope that when the transit Centre is built that they will link there...
(11-14-2020, 09:43 PM)plam Wrote: I wonder how hard it was to get to Cambridge before amalgamation of transit (i.e. formation of GRT). I imagine it's political as much as anything.
It was pesky government regulation. Intercity rights to bus service were held by Trentway-Wagar and forbid the cities from implementing their own cross border routes.

You're thinking of the 101 Express, which operated between Fairview Park and UW from 2003 to 2005 when the iXpress was implemented.

Prior to GRT, one had to take a Trentway-Wagar bus between the cities. Conestoga College students living in Cambridge had to make their way to the Ainslie St. Terminal, then take the Trentway-Wagar bus to the Charles St. Terminal and backtrack to the college on the 7 and 10.

For this reason, the 61 was also one of the first cross border routes, implemented alongside the 52 in September 2000.

The 61 in those days operated between Conestoga College and Preston or Sportsworld (depending on the time) via Highway 401. Trips that operated to Sportsworld were interlined with the 52 to and from Ainslie St. Terminal.

(11-14-2020, 11:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Was there no service to Conestoga College from Cambridge before.

There was certainly no service to the college from Cambridge. The 10 and 16 were the only services to the college prior to GRT.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »