Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon bacon bacon!
(01-25-2020, 07:45 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 01:22 AM)plam Wrote: I never really understood that name. I lived in Boston (well, Cambridge MA) for 6 years and pizza really wasn't a famous thing from Boston. I guess they just chose a random place to name their chain after.

It seems to be a popular Canadian thing to do, and I guess it shows just how much we love America, because, when an American comes to Canada, they can have New York Fries, or Boston Pizza, get a steak from Montana's, a pita from New York Pita Company, play some snooker at Chicago and feel just like their at home....I don't know if there are any American restaurants with Canadian names tho.

I can't think of any, but they sure love our ham bacon.

Coke

(01-28-2020, 02:53 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 07:45 PM)jeffster Wrote: It seems to be a popular Canadian thing to do, and I guess it shows just how much we love America, because, when an American comes to Canada, they can have New York Fries, or Boston Pizza, get a steak from Montana's, a pita from New York Pita Company, play some snooker at Chicago and feel just like their at home....I don't know if there are any American restaurants with Canadian names tho.

Coke

I went to New York the one time, they asked me what I wanted for breakfast, they gave me the options, I chose Canadian Bacon as one of them...it comes to me....I point to my plate "what is that?" and they reply "that's Canadian Bacon" and I am like, no, it's not, it sorta look like peameal bacon, but it ain't Canadian Bacon. American's, they have such as weird sense of humour.
(01-28-2020, 02:53 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 07:45 PM)jeffster Wrote: It seems to be a popular Canadian thing to do, and I guess it shows just how much we love America, because, when an American comes to Canada, they can have New York Fries, or Boston Pizza, get a steak from Montana's, a pita from New York Pita Company, play some snooker at Chicago and feel just like their at home....I don't know if there are any American restaurants with Canadian names tho.

Coke

(01-28-2020, 11:19 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 02:53 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I can't think of any, but they sure love our ham bacon.

Coke

I went to New York the one time, they asked me what I wanted for breakfast, they gave me the options, I chose Canadian Bacon as one of them...it comes to me....I point to my plate "what is that?" and they reply "that's Canadian Bacon" and I am like, no, it's not, it sorta look like peameal bacon, but it ain't Canadian Bacon. American's, they have such as weird sense of humour.

"Canadian bacon" is just the U.S. name for back bacon, which we also eat in Canada.  I don't know why they call it Canadian bacon as it in no way originated in Canada.
(01-28-2020, 11:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 02:53 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I can't think of any, but they sure love our ham bacon.

Coke

(01-28-2020, 11:19 PM)jeffster Wrote: I went to New York the one time, they asked me what I wanted for breakfast, they gave me the options, I chose Canadian Bacon as one of them...it comes to me....I point to my plate "what is that?" and they reply "that's Canadian Bacon" and I am like, no, it's not, it sorta look like peameal bacon, but it ain't Canadian Bacon. American's, they have such as weird sense of humour.

"Canadian bacon" is just the U.S. name for back bacon, which we also eat in Canada.  I don't know why they call it Canadian bacon as it in no way originated in Canada.

When I lived in the US, I did have an American ask me if we had...

"like...not Canadian bacon" in Canada.

And I was like...you mean like "bacon"

...and he said "yeah like the strips"

..."of course" I said

..."Well what do you call it." he asked.

...."uhh...bacon" I answered.

It was a whole thing, I'd be curious to know the origin of the term "Canadian Bacon" but it does seem to be causing some confusion in the US. It's a silly confusion though...ultimately, pigs are the same here as there, ergo, they have all the same bacony parts.

Anyway, I really came here to post, Graffiti Market has Chicago deep dish style pizza. And whether you agree with Jon Stewart that not only is not better than NYC pizza, it's not even pizza (it's a casserole), or not, I'm excited to at least try it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme..._graffiti/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjt440Ak8i/...cush1ojd60
(01-28-2021, 10:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It was a whole thing, I'd be curious to know the origin of the term "Canadian Bacon" but it does seem to be causing some confusion in the US. It's a silly confusion though...ultimately, pigs are the same here as there, ergo, they have all the same bacony parts.

Back in the 1800s the UK had a pork shortage so they were forced into importing pork from Canada. It was basically peameal bacon (made from the loin of the pig!), cured in brine, and then rolled in powdered yellow peas. The Brits then smoked it, and they called this newfangled thing "Canadian Bacon" (as a substitute for the local one). The food and the name made its way to the US (where the standard bacon is far more fatty), and it stuck there, but nowhere else.
(01-28-2021, 12:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 10:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It was a whole thing, I'd be curious to know the origin of the term "Canadian Bacon" but it does seem to be causing some confusion in the US. It's a silly confusion though...ultimately, pigs are the same here as there, ergo, they have all the same bacony parts.

Back in the 1800s the UK had a pork shortage so they were forced into importing pork from Canada. It was basically peameal bacon (made from the loin of the pig!), cured in brine, and then rolled in powdered yellow peas. The Brits then smoked it, and they called this newfangled thing "Canadian Bacon" (as a substitute for the local one). The food and the name made its way to the US (where the standard bacon is far more fatty), and it stuck there, but nowhere else.

Remember that nickname for Toronto. "Hogtown". ;-)
I don't think what they call Canadian bacon is the same as peameal bacon, though, is it? Isn't it basically that fake ham stuff?

(01-28-2021, 05:39 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't think what they call Canadian bacon is the same as peameal bacon, though, is it? Isn't it basically that fake ham stuff?

I'm fairly certain it is, or at least, that's what I would expect when I hear Canadian bacon in the US.

That being said, am I the ONLY one excited about Chicago deep dish style pizza?!
(01-28-2021, 05:39 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't think what they call Canadian bacon is the same as peameal bacon, though, is it? Isn't it basically that fake ham stuff?

Mostly depends on the manufacturer. It can be back bacon (as we understand it) but generally - being the USA - it's processed and reformed into a cylindrical shape. It almost never has the peameal on it either.
Canadian Bacon is definitely ham.  Not back bacon/peameal bacon as we know it.

Example: Egg McMuffin in Canada is Ham, Egg, Cheese.

The US:

What I want more of here, is the UK bacon!  [Occasionally I'll get some at the Scottish bakery in Preston... sold as Ayrshire Bacon -- so much better!]

Coke

To get back on track: Yes, I'd try the deep dish pizza!  Loved it when we were in Chicago!
(02-02-2021, 12:09 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Canadian Bacon is definitely ham.  Not back bacon/peameal bacon as we know it.

The US:

What I want more of here, is the UK bacon!  [Occasionally I'll get some at the Scottish bakery in Preston... sold as Ayrshire Bacon -- so much better!]

Coke

To get back on track: Yes, I'd try the deep dish pizza!  Loved it when we were in Chicago!

I mean, I don't think McDonalds is the authority on any food terminology ... they invented the 100% pure beef corporation after all.

You might have a point, but ultimately, given that there are a significant number of people here who understand the term to mean one thing, it is definitely not correct to say that it doesn't mean that...the meaning is clearly not well defined.
(02-02-2021, 12:09 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Canadian Bacon is definitely ham.  Not back bacon/peameal bacon as we know it.

That's not ham. That's Canadian bacon, or back bacon. But not peameal bacon, because there is no coating (which is cornmeal, not pemeal, but whatever).

Bacon and ham come from different parts of the pig.
(02-02-2021, 05:34 PM)timc Wrote:

That's not ham. That's Canadian bacon, or back bacon. But not peameal bacon, because there is no coating (which is cornmeal, not pemeal, but whatever).

Bacon and ham come from different parts of the pig.

Is there anyone that doesn't like crispy bacon?

So good. So tasty. So piggy.

I LOVE that this is a thread
We need a butcher in this forum to answer this Ham vs. Bacon debate.

And while yes, McDonalds is not the end all be all in food terminology, it is the one that markets "Canadian Bacon" the most. [And while I normally will not come to the defence of Raunchy Ronnie's.... https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-100-beef/ --- In Canada, the company is not called "100% pure beef" but "Cargill"]

@snopes, I too have found my new favourite thread!

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »