Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six-Sixty Belmont | 13 fl | Proposed
(01-15-2021, 12:46 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 11:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'd find something in the 6-8 storey range much easier to digest in that location, but I assume that's unlikely.

There are 9 other buildings in that area that are 8-16 floors in height. It won't look out of place.

(Edit note...at least 9 buildings already)

None are in Belmont Village, however.  I'd be fine with this if it were across Glasgow on the corner, for example.  I just find it out of scale for what has traditionally been a low-rise area.  Most likely, however, other tall buildings will follow - the pharmacy site, for example, is ripe for redevelopment.

(01-15-2021, 01:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 12:46 PM)jeffster Wrote: There are 9 other buildings in that area that are 8-16 floors in height. It won't look out of place.

None are in Belmont Village, however.  I'd be fine with this if it were across Glasgow on the corner, for example.  I just find it out of scale for what has traditionally been a low-rise area.  Most likely, however, other tall buildings will follow - the pharmacy site, for example, is ripe for redevelopment.

I really think that was the cities original plan, to have this area built up a little bit more. Though I don't see any of the regular retail being razed. Just that tire shop.
I actually really like this massing, it's well articulated, with lots of balconies, stepbacks and very good street orientation. 13 storeys is actually great for this location - finally we will start seeing the density that Belmont desperately needs. Great addition overall.
I should reserve judgement until I see an actual developed massing. The one provided looks like they quickly put something together for the public presentation. 

This is a proposal in Ottawa. Personally I think this is well designed and would fit into Belmont. 

But that one is only nine floors, I think.
(01-14-2021, 05:19 PM)stevefromyellowstone2 Wrote: Here is a rendering from the public presentation

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7552]

The scale would be more reasonable if it didn't have that tumour on top. My opinion only, of course.
Wink 
(01-15-2021, 06:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But that one is only nine floors, I think.
It can be scaled up  Tongue

(01-15-2021, 05:21 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I should reserve judgement until I see an actual developed massing. The one provided looks like they quickly put something together for the public presentation. 

This is a proposal in Ottawa. Personally I think this is well designed and would fit into Belmont. 
That one is on Bank St in Centretown - Ottawa's (sort of) equivalent to King St in DTK.
I'm surprised the zoning allows for this here
(01-17-2021, 01:55 PM)Spokes Wrote: I'm surprised the zoning allows for this here

It is one of the area's that the city of Kitchener zoned for larger buildings, up to 15 floors if I recall. In particular, between Glasgow and Union. Though I thought that most taller builds were supposed to be set-back from the street, to allow retail on street front. However, it seems that this is replacing the tire place, so it's not likely considered a loss.
No surprise, There's neighbours against this development. I do agree it's a bit tall for a Village feel but it's a perfect location for a building of this type and size plus there are many buildings around the same height in the area already. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...pment.html
"They are all Ma and Pa shops" (apparently that includes Rexall and Tim Hortons), implying that the retail in the new building would only be faceless corporate. On what basis?

It's unfortunate that so many people are unwilling to accept change in their neighbourhoods. Maybe in someone else's neigbourhood, sure, but in their own, "they fear its charm will be lost."
Normally I'm not on the side of boomer NIMBY's but the massing of this thing looks strange so I can understand their concern. ABA Architects has an okay portfolio so I don't want to judge this unless I can see renders that demonstrate the materials they are considering because massing and cross section drawings don't really give you any idea what it would look like. Also, the tumour - as tomh009 described it - at the top of the building looks odd. Not sure what is going on with that thing.

(01-15-2021, 12:46 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 11:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'd find something in the 6-8 storey range much easier to digest in that location, but I assume that's unlikely.

There are 9 other buildings in that area that are 8-16 floors in height. It won't look out of place.

But not this close to actual Belmont Village main st, though. Normally I am pro-densification, but in this case I think the 8 storey limit along there is just fine and should not go any higher.
The one thing from the article is that the City already apparently has various rules for the area, and the developer is trying to push the envelope. The article also included an apology from City staff in the public consultation that there had been missteps in the proposal process.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »