Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Manulife Development Project
Ahh, this is crazy. That parking lot (there 2 across from one another), is the exact spot I was envisioning more-or-less what they are describing (and I hadn't read that article). Seems like perfect real estate, right next to the Tannery/quintessential tech-hub. That parcel of land could easily accommodate 2 high-rise towers atop really nice retail.

I heard rumors (thought maybe it was announced somewhere - if it's not you heard it here first!), that a Sobeys would be coming in DTK - perhaps a smaller, Sobey's 'express' that we see at Spadina/Front St. (City Centre), Toronto. Much needed option for the condo boom no doubt.

^ Sobeys Urban Fresh?
(01-21-2019, 10:57 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I haven't read anything specific about the houses, and a lot has changed since it was published, but an article from the Record in November, 2017 [1] includes the statement

Quote:The building would cover nearly 40 per cent of the block, mainly near the intersection of Charles and Francis streets. Surface parking will be provided on the Joseph Street side.

My guess is that the houses are not part of the development plans.

I spent a bit too much time peering at the render to try to glean hints, and I didn't come up with anything about the houses but I did notice for the first time the hints of a tower on the left side of the render and I wonder if that's any indication of plans being considered to put a tower up at the part of 25 Water between Charles and Joseph.

[1] https://www.therecord.com/news-story/796...rking-lot/

(01-21-2019, 11:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: I always assumed that was a second phase of the development.  The first tower coming at Charles and Francis taking up 40% of the lot, the second tower taking up the rest of the lot at a later date.  But I forgot that the existing building on the other side of Water could handle extra height.

Yes, the plan is/was for two towers at different phases.
(01-18-2019, 10:41 AM)dgoh0 Wrote: Just curious about the fate of the 4 houses on the corner of that block, one on Francis and three on Joseph... Will these get torn down, or will we just have to deal with a massive skyscraper in our back yards?

The City's interactive map shows a building footprint for the first building on the parking lot at the corner of Charles & Francis. I can't find the building permit details. Looking at the rendering that was circulated recently, the second building will likely be on the remainder of the parking lot at the corner of Charles & Water.

(01-21-2019, 12:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Ahh, this is crazy. That parking lot (there 2 across from one another), is the exact spot I was envisioning more-or-less what they are describing (and I hadn't read that article). Seems like perfect real estate, right next to the Tannery/quintessential tech-hub. That parcel of land could easily accommodate 2 high-rise towers atop really nice retail.

I heard rumors (thought maybe it was announced somewhere - if it's not you heard it here first!), that a Sobeys would be coming in DTK - perhaps a smaller, Sobey's 'express' that we see at Spadina/Front St. (City Centre), Toronto. Much needed option for the condo boom no doubt.

I always thought an urban format grocer would be a good fit here given whats around it.
(01-21-2019, 02:33 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:41 AM)dgoh0 Wrote: Just curious about the fate of the 4 houses on the corner of that block, one on Francis and three on Joseph... Will these get torn down, or will we just have to deal with a massive skyscraper in our back yards?

The City's interactive map shows a building footprint for the first building on the parking lot at the corner of Charles & Francis. I can't find the building permit details. Looking at the rendering that was circulated recently, the second building will likely be on the remainder of the parking lot at the corner of Charles & Water.

Or, if they wanted they could mirror the first tower on the other side of the lot and still have space left over fronting Joseph.  This could either be incorporated into the second tower's phase, or serve as a third phase.

Imagine 144 Park style units on the ground floor fronting Joseph.  Seems kind of perfect to me.

(01-21-2019, 02:33 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote:

Parking lots are just buildings waiting to be watered! Even if it takes 2, 5, 10 years as seen across the road with the new build.

Breaking the phases up gives Manulife time to negotiate with property owners if that's something they want to do. But maybe they're fine to go ahead without owning the entire block.
That parking lot spans the full block on all sides right? They don't have to worry about a few houses needing to be integrated/demolished which is good.
(01-22-2019, 09:48 AM)Momo26 Wrote: That parking lot spans the full block on all sides right? They don't have to worry about a few houses needing to be integrated/demolished which is good.

There are four houses on the corner of Joseph and Francis. As a resident of one of these houses, I can tell you that my landlord has not been approached by Manulife. Each of the four houses is owned by someone different. I'm sure the land is worth more than the buildings though, so it's only a matter of time before they come down.
I thought I posted this already this morning but I don't see it.
But bad news I checked the building permit information this morning and the foundation permit has been cancelled.
(01-22-2019, 10:00 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I thought I posted this already this morning but I don't see it.
But bad news I checked the building permit information this morning and the foundation permit has been cancelled.

Oh no.  That sucks.  I hope it's not the end of this project.

I mean eventually it'll get developed, the land is too valuable to not be.  But still
(01-22-2019, 10:32 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 10:00 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I thought I posted this already this morning but I don't see it.

Oh no.  That sucks.  I hope it's not the end of this project.

I mean eventually it'll get developed, the land is too valuable to not be.  But still

They're just going to sell it to a developer (maybe this was the plan all along, to get approvals and then just sell). It will definitely happen!

I'll just say that this particular public entity has at least some DTK presence already. Keep guessing!
TriOS college  Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »