Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short-term rental regulations
Cities can regulate short-term rentals but really enforcement is quite difficult unless they work directly with companies like AirBNB and HomeAway. I use AirBNB fairly regularly and I know short-term rentals are disallowed in some of the cities I have stayed in (or only allowed in primary residences) -- and yet there are tons of listings on AirBNB.

AirBNB can indeed take some rental units off the market, but I expect most of these are not at the affordable end of the spectrum: most of the listings for complete apartments, whether in the region or elsewhere, tend to be for fairly nice units, not basic/affordable ones.

I believe the biggest impact is in condo buildings where investor unit owners might choose to do short-term rentals rather than renting to long-term tenants. Many condo buildings' declarations and/or bylaws forbid this so they attempt to prevent this practice (a little bit easier than for a city, but still a challenge) but some buildings do not. And declarations are really, really hard to change. So recently one such building in Toronto signed an agreement with AirBNB regulating activity in the building: AirBNB will report all listings, provide insurance and provide a percentage of the revenue to the building to help with maintenance.
http://www.lashcondolaw.com/condo-corpor...m-rentals/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Short-term rental regulations - by MidTowner - 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: Short-term rental regulations - by tomh009 - 12-06-2017, 10:41 AM
RE: Short-term rental regulations - by MidTowner - 12-06-2017, 10:57 AM
RE: Short-term rental regulations - by tomh009 - 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM
RE: Short-term rental regulations - by MidTowner - 12-06-2017, 01:46 PM
RE: Short-term rental regulations - by tomh009 - 12-06-2017, 05:47 PM