Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(12-02-2015, 11:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: The poor pharmacy school looks so small next to it.

Remember when it was first built?  It seemed so huge.  Seems like forever ago.

(11-17-2015, 06:48 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Good view of One Victoria from the Google office. Looking quite nice in the sunset.

[Image: HL4hcWeh.jpg]

Future Transit Hub corner: History
Northeast corner of King Street and Victoria Street,  late 1940s

[Image: Ovh0OtH.jpg]
Love the Blue Top sign in that photo!
(12-11-2015, 09:48 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Northeast corner of King Street and Victoria Street,  late 1940s
1952 according to the caption. Not earlier than 1949, from the turning Chrysler Windsor.

Larger version:

From the other direction (1954):

From the other other direction (1956):

Photos from the UW Doris Lewis collection via historypin.org which unfortunately is unlinkably Web 2.0™.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=653]

Well I guess that explains why Margaret got the first grade separation in downtown. Way easier to do it there, far away from all those industrial spurs.
Interesting the sign for King Street shows it to be highway 85. It is now regional road 15.
(12-13-2015, 06:49 PM)Drake Wrote: Interesting the sign for King Street shows it to be highway 85. It is now regional road 15.

Also interesting in the same photo to see that to get to Stratford the direction sign says take Highway 7 eastward toward Guelph? I'm confused but that would not be the only time today  Confused

Hmm?

No, the arrows point in opposite directions, at least to my eye.
(12-13-2015, 09:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: No, the arrows point in opposite directions, at least to my eye.

Yes, I think it is

^ Elmira
< Stratford
> Guelph

And yes, King Street was Highway 85 before the expressway was built.
(12-13-2015, 06:47 PM)Markster Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=653]

Well I guess that explains why Margaret got the first grade separation in downtown.  Way easier to do it there, far away from all those industrial spurs.

It also looks like Kings Crossing is a case of what's old is new again...

Coke
Any new word on occupancy here? I've seen ads for rentals and room sublets starting in January. That doesn't seem possible to me, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
Barrel construction cones on King adjacent to 1Vic, either for this development or LRT (but more likely this development).

Also, it seems like last night something shattered a window, the 2nd floor curved window(s) right on the King/Vic corner. I would suspect vandalism, given there wasn't any wind or things that could damage it occurring naturally. Unless somehow this was why there were three fire trucks called to the area, parked just across Victoria by the school of pharmacy, last night around 6-7ish.
I couldn't get a good photo, but I saw something interesting at 1Vic this morning. There are always lights on in various units in the morning, but one unit on the second floor (first residential floor) on the middle of the King St side had its lights on, showing a standing light fixture, large painting or photo print, and a couch. However, the style of these objects made me recall that the rather unique light (the base and the light itself are ~10 feet apart, horizontally) looked like one from the condo furnishing store in the base of the42. I am wondering if deliveries of these items is taking place, or if these items are being used to set up a fully-furnished rental, or something else. Either way, interesting that the unit is far enough along to see this.

Perhaps they're setting up a display suite for the purposes of selling 100 Victoria?
(01-15-2016, 09:16 AM)Markster Wrote: Perhaps they're setting up a display suite for the purposes of selling 100 Victoria?

Usually they've had actual storefronts to use for that purpose, such as in the building at Erb & Peppler, or the42. Actually putting things together within a building makes it very awkward to get people in and out, and awkward for tenants. Would not surprise me if that would run afoul of regulations against commercial enterprises (that require comings and goings, versus someone working from home as a personal office) running out of residential units.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »