Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(10-17-2016, 09:55 AM)Drake Wrote: I prefer the street lights and signal lights in the render. I also like how the trees camouflage the U haul business.

I like that there are trees in the render, while in reality I don't see any. Are they planning to plant some?

Count me as one who likes the finished product better than the render.
(10-17-2016, 09:55 AM)Drake Wrote: I prefer the street lights and signal lights in the render. I also like how the trees camouflage the U haul business.

Are these planned street lights, or were they just included for effect?
(10-17-2016, 11:50 AM)jamincan Wrote: Count me as one who likes the finished product better than the render.

Me three!
They would have to cut into freshly poured concrete to put any trees in. I suspect there will be zero trees, short and long term.
I think another tower that balances and accents this tower where the U-Haul is would finish this thread nicely....
(10-17-2016, 12:42 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: They would have to cut into freshly poured concrete to put any trees in. I suspect there will be zero trees, short and long term.

I couldn't tell that from the picture.

I look out over the fresh concrete, so...
So how long until the rest of the block is redeveloped?
I heard UHaul has no intention of selling
They own the building?
(10-18-2016, 07:26 PM)Spokes Wrote: I heard UHaul has no intention of selling

And they'll have no intention of selling, until they sell.

(I've heard similar scuttlebutt about UHaul being reluctant to part with locations, but if someone is willing to develop the site to 20 stories, they'd be able to make a compelling land offer.)
(10-19-2016, 09:35 AM)zanate Wrote: (I've heard similar scuttlebutt about UHaul being reluctant to part with locations, but if someone is willing to develop the site to 20 stories, they'd be able to make a compelling land offer.)

I've seen people trot that out with the example of U-Haul locations in Manhattan.  Forgetting that Manhattan is its own ecosystem with factors that don't apply anywhere else.

Quote:Savills Studley’s Carlos said the U-Haul property is often eyed by developers, but that selling is not particularly attractive to the company because it would need to buy a replacement site in the current frenzied market in order to keep operating.

In Kitchener they could easily find a much less expensive (and more practical) site within 1 km or less, for much less money. I doubt they get many pedestrian customers to merit a prime downtown site.
It's such a shame that street trees were not added or required by the city in this location... walking along that sidewalk/patio space (patio for Scotiabank, for that matter) is not a nice experience at all. Hopefully they will add some big planters to make up for it, and maybe Settlement will also add some patio tables to that barren streetscape.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »