Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Grand River Transit

[Image: logo.jpg]

To get this thread going I'd like to say that i'm happy to see that the 92 University loop is getting far more use this term. I ride an 8 that runs gets to UW just in time for the 8:30AM class and so is often delayed because so many people are trying to pack in (and get turned away!). There is now a 92 that usually is just before us now and takes the pressure off. Great Idea! I hope the uptake keeps increasing!
curious_look Wrote:To get this thread going I'd like to say that i'm happy to see that the 92 University loop is getting far more use this term. I ride an 8 that runs gets to UW just in time for the 8:30AM class and so is often delayed because so many people are trying to pack in (and get turned away!). There is now a 92 that usually is just before us now and takes the pressure off. Great Idea! I hope the uptake keeps increasing!

[Image: UniversityLoop.jpg]

I don't ride it but as commuter on Columbia, I see the 92 from time to time, stuck on Columbia between King & Weber due to its short 1-lane, ha
Anyway, Columbia during rush hours is a mess now, with all the constructions and lane reduction
What's the frequency of that route? By the looks of it, it should be fairly often as it's a short loop.
Spokes Wrote:What's the frequency of that route? By the looks of it, it should be fairly often as it's a short loop.

It's currently every 15 minutes in each direction, but is only run during weekday peaks.
I saw on Twitter that the UWaterloo Student Portal has real-time bus arrival data online (screenshot showed the 200 and 7C). Hopefully this means that information will be available to the general public soon as well.

GRT has mentioned a forthcoming app with this data, but they've been promising real-time data "coming soon" for at least three years so I'm not holding my breath.
link?

The UW Student Portal is a pretty cool app.  I got a chance to see it briefly in action (but not the transportation part).  I'm told that is really useful to know exactly where the buses are.  The project is currently in limited release on campus.  
Not sure why the URL gets double http prefix
Let's try again
http://uwaterloo.ca/student-portal/
GRT is working on a Smart Card system which will be installed on all buses and ION. All fares, transfers, etc. will be electronic. More information can be found here:

http://www.grt.ca/en/aboutus/grtredesign.asp?hdnContent=
(10-11-2014, 09:51 PM)Waterlooer Wrote: GRT is working on a Smart Card system which will be installed on all buses and ION. All fares, transfers, etc. will be electronic. More information can be found here:

http://www.grt.ca/en/aboutus/grtredesign.asp?hdnContent=

And that's coming sooner than one might think!

According to this report:

Quote:It is expected that acceptance testing would begin in early 2015, followed by installation of servers and supporting computer hardware, and new fareboxes on GRT buses in summer 2015.

[...]

During 2015, acceptance testing would also begin for fare payment equipment for ION platforms in time to allow manufacture, delivery, installation and commissioning to take place before LRT enters service. This process would ensure that the central system, point of sale devices and web interface are operating as expected before ION equipment enters service.

That's less than 12 months before you start seeing hardware in the wild!
Public Information Centres are now announced for the 2015 Service Changes

Areas of focus for 2015:

Quote:GRT is seeking public feedback on the following plans:
  • New limited-stop iXpress route between the Boardwalk and Ottawa Street & Lackner Boulevard intersection.  
  • Addition of a Sunday service to Route 22 Laurentian West. 
  • Changes to Routes: 1 Stanley Park, 2 Forest Hill, 15 Frederick, 17 Heritage Park, 19 Victoria S, 20 Victoria Hills, 23 Idlewood, 24 Highland, and 25 Queen S.
  • The alignment of route 7 and the introduction of new 200 iXpress stops at future ION stations. 
  • Route 8 Franklin modifications.

That new iXpress route refers to the Highland/Queen/Victoria iXpress.

I'm glad to see Route 7/200 on there too. TriTAG's been hammering the point on that for years now.
Regarding the robot voice announcements about priority seating:

Apparently it's triggered by the bus approaching certain stops. My bus driver mentioned how "it's only certain stops"

Yes CBC reported the same thing. For example Grand River and St Mary's hospitals, seniors' facilities, transit terminals and the like.

What I don't understand is why we need this noise pollution in the first place. It's common sense and simple courtesy to give up your seat to those who clearly need it more. I'd have thought that "peer pressure" in the form of stares and comments from other passengers would be enough to get self-absorbed inconsiderates off their bums.
Word is that the detailed information for the 2015 improvements/changes will be published tomorrow.
They were briefly published on GRT's site, and even had a facebook post about them, but they have since been pulled. Presumably they weren't quite finished with them!

I look forward to the rampant debates here!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »