Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-28-2019, 10:46 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: One of the blue signs with a white chevron, pointing up, has been added to the left side of the track approaching Mill Station towards Fairview, in the stretch between Ottawa and Borden. It's a fairly new addition, I saw it last night for the first time, but I hadn't been on the tram since last Friday so I'm not sure when it was added.

While on the train I thought that perhaps there was a slight climb there, so I played around with Google Maps' cycling directions to experiment with elevations. Unfortunately the walkway that runs parallel to the tracks between Borden Ave and Ottawa isn't in Google Maps yet, so I don't have clear elevation information. Ottawa and Mill is a little bit lower than Mill at Borden Pkwy but a little bit higher than Ottawa at Courtland but in all cases it's only a few metres either way.

I have a feeling it has nothing to do with elevation and everything to do with snow clearing operations.

An LRV had a technical issue at Northfield station that caused the signal arms to stay down for 30 minutes during rush hour today. Definitely not a good look for public transit.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/technical-m...-1.4709129
(11-29-2019, 10:45 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: An LRV had a technical issue at Northfield station that caused the signal arms to stay down for 30 minutes during rush hour today. Definitely not a good look for public transit.

I commute between Kitchener and Mississauga each day.  Do you want me to give you my impression of what view I have on transportation  by car !?!?!?
(11-29-2019, 10:45 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: An LRV had a technical issue at Northfield station that caused the signal arms to stay down for 30 minutes during rush hour today. Definitely not a good look for public transit.

There are always going to be people that are anti-transit, but getting rid of issues like this are a MUST for winning over the swing vote
(11-30-2019, 08:02 AM)Spokes Wrote:

There are always going to be people that are anti-transit, but getting rid of issues like this are a MUST for winning over the swing vote

For starters, it says the vehicle was stopped. It is absolutely unacceptable for the gates to stay down while a vehicle is stopped for an extended period of time. Really, the gates shouldn’t come down until the chimes for door closing start in the first place. But even if they have to continue with the early gate descent, if a vehicle is held up in station the gates need to release forthwith.

Also, when Northfield is the terminus, for whatever reason, there is no justification for activating the gates at all. The idea that our trained drivers will overrun the platform to such an extent that they will run into the road is not a good enough reason to pointlessly stop other traffic.

The fact that they would let it continue for 30 minutes right next to the OMSF says that they basically think it’s A-OK to hold up traffic. After 10 minutes they should have a maintenance person out to override the crossing protection by whatever means are necessary.
I've seen rumors on twitter that the LRT is not operating, but nothing on the official accounts. Anyone know if the train is actually operating, or on which sections it is closed.

If it is not operating (and I haven't seen one go by my place all morning, so I'm guessing it isn't operating), that would be disappointing, weather is a known issue in this area, and it was suggested that there were plans to be able to deal with it.
Plans don't always succeed once reality comes.

So long as they realize what caused their plan to fail, and update it to meet future conditions, I can't overly fault them. This weather is challenging for everyone.

There are many power outages throughout Kitchener Waterloo I am sure that is factoring into the problem
There is currently no service between Conestoga and Waterloo Public Square due to ice buildup cutting the power. I gather northbound between Fairway and Willis Way was also affected this morning because of a stuck switch. It's unfortunate ION failed the first winter weather test. What can they do to solve issues like ice buildup other than lowering headway?

[Image: YDnt14T.png]
Also, Canard got a video of some idiot driving along the tracks at Willis Way this morning Dodgy

https://www.twitter.com/Canardiain/statu...7484867586
How is that even possible?
http://ctv.news/0w1bTOi
Apparently service has now resumed, though you wouldn't know it looking at any official GRT/ROW social media. Do they not have anyone to update their Facebook and Twitter accounts on the weekend? I only saw it as a popup on their site, and there is no indication it even happened now.

Also, is it just me or is real-time location data down again? I can't see it on either Google Maps or the GRT trip planner.

(12-01-2019, 01:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: How is that even possible?

Easy — a bit further back along where they came from, the track is only separated from the road by a roll curb. I’ll even go so far as to say that it’s quite natural to turn right from Erb onto the track when the ground is covered in snow. That is, however, no excuse because there are signs clearly marking the lane as reserved for transit.

So it’s not possible for a responsible driver, but there are lots of irresponsible ones for whom it would be very easy indeed.
(12-01-2019, 04:52 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Apparently service has now resumed, though you wouldn't know it looking at any official GRT/ROW social media. Do they not have anyone to update their Facebook and Twitter accounts on the weekend? I only saw it as a popup on their site, and there is no indication it even happened now.

Also, is it just me or is real-time location data down again? I can't see it on either Google Maps or the GRT trip planner.
When the trains aren't operating as normal the real time information for them won't work as the trains won't be logged in to any of their normal blocks. As for the lack of social media posting, the Region doesn't pay anyone to monitor or post on the weekends.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »