Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Victoria Park station ready to be poured, a few days ago:

[Image: F7S6fLv.jpg]

Installing tracks in front of the Benton and Charles parking garage:

[Image: nWiEtSc.jpg]

Tracks curving from Benton to Charles:

[Image: 1McpI9M.jpg]

(10-15-2015, 01:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Tracks curving from Benton to Charles:

[Image: 1McpI9M.jpg]

I can’t quite see in the picture: is there a rubber filler strip between the two inside rails? I assume the rails will be encased in a boot but I’m guessing there should also be rubber filling the gap.
Probably metal spacer donuts where the bolts are that separate the running rail from the restraining rail.

The signs in the area say Charles/Benton is opening in November. I wonder if just this one section of track is being done right now so they can pour the concrete/pavement as fast as possible, and then open the road, and worry about the rest of the track in either direction (and down Frederick) later.

I really really really wish they'd show us their Gantt Chart for this project so we knew what the heck was going on! Although half the fun is guessing and being surprised when something of significance happens Smile
North lot of Waterloo Town Square - October 15, 2015
[Image: 2uo53xi.jpg]
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The southern crossings at UW are closing next week for track installation (E5, University Plaza North and University Plaza South). Alternate crossings are north of E5 or University.
(10-16-2015, 10:15 AM)timio Wrote: The southern crossings at UW are closing next week for track installation (E5, University Plaza North and University Plaza South).  Alternate crossings are north of E5 or University.

Track is advancing very slowly there, about 15-20m per day. Don't know what is the hold back.
Conestoga Mall Station, October 15

[Image: 20151015_131611.jpg]

[Image: 20151015_131322.jpg]

Well, yesterday they were working on laying track at UW station, and that's a little more complicated
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Track laying at <a href="https://twitter.com/UWaterloo">@UWaterloo</a> station. Meanwhile, pedestrians blaze needed trails around E5 <a href="http://t.co/JEowPobPf5">pic.twitter.com/JEowPobPf5</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/654713516197187584">October 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
Well, only tangentially related to ION...

But looks like the TTC is getting fed up at the constant delays for the new Streetcars, and staff recommends that the TTC sues Bombardier:

Quote:TTC staff will also recommend to its board that it commence legal action, or make a claim allowed for already in the contract, of $50 million for late delivery

Fun fact:
Quote:There are just 10 new streetcars available for service in Toronto today. Based on the original contract schedule, 67 of 204 new streetcars on order should be serving TTC customers
Gauntlet track at UW station.
[Image: Qlevch2.jpg]
(10-16-2015, 03:36 PM)Markster Wrote: Well, only tangentially related to ION...

But looks like the TTC is getting fed up at the constant delays for the new Streetcars, and staff recommends that the TTC sues Bombardier:

Quote:TTC staff will also recommend to its board that it commence legal action, or make a claim allowed for already in the contract, of $50 million for late delivery

Fun fact:
Quote:There are just 10 new streetcars available for service in Toronto today. Based on the original contract schedule, 67 of 204 new streetcars on order should be serving TTC customers

That is huge, very strongly worded rebuke.

Based on the original contract schedule, 67 of 204 new streetcars on order should be serving TTC customers. The eleventh new streetcar is not scheduled to be shipped to Toronto until Oct. 21. Bombardier is stating the TTC will now see a total of just 16 streetcars in-service at the end 2015. Given Bombardier’s failure to meet past commitments, the TTC has no confidence in this latest schedule.

TTC CEO Andy Byford has advised TTC Chair Josh Colle and the TTC board of this development. He is recommending that the board now bring forward a deferred staff report to its Oct. 28 meeting regarding future sanctions that may be levied against Bombardier.

I hope Grand Linq has stronger penalty clauses and contingencies in place.
GO isn't having any trouble getting their new cab cars off a parallel line at Thunder Bay, and the TTC is thrilled with the performance and delivery of the TR's. I wouldn't read too much into this. If there's a problem, GrandLinq or the Rapid Transit team at the Region will let us know. Until then, it's pure speculation (and hurtful and damaging speculation, to be quite honest).
Anyone want to comment on the likely hood we will have a rail network and no trains?

Quote:"Bombardier has informed the TTC that its latest promise to deliver 23 new streetcars by the end of the year will not be met. The company is now saying it will have 16 of the low-floor vehicles in service by New Year’s Eve, but the TTC said it’s lost all faith in Bombardier’s promises.

“Given Bombardier’s failure to meet past commitments, the TTC has no confidence in this latest schedule,” the transit service said in a statement.
If Bombardier had stuck to its original delivery plan, the TTC would have 67 of 204 new streetcars in operation by now. Instead, it only has 10."

-- Financial Post October 16, 2015

(10-16-2015, 09:10 PM)Drake Wrote: Anyone want to comment on the likely hood we will have a rail network and no trains?

Comment: Not very likely.
(10-16-2015, 07:32 PM)numberguy Wrote: I hope Grand Linq has stronger penalty clauses and contingencies in place.

Well, the train purchase was negotiated by the Region, well before Grandlinq was selected, so it's their need for strong protections.

But given how 'off the shelf' the Flexity Freedom (our unit) is, I have fewer worries.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »