Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I was wondering what it might look like - that's not bad at all, if they use decent stone for the retaining wall.

I like the new central placement for the Mackenzie King statue.
I am curious why the rails would be in the middle of the road and not along the edges. Would it not be safer for pedestrians using ION?
(03-24-2015, 02:54 PM)Drake Wrote: I am curious why the rails would be in the middle of the road and not along the edges. Would it not be safer for pedestrians using ION?

In the middle of the road reduces conflicts with traffic. This way they only have to deal with left turns at signalized intersections turning in front of the train. Other intersections will become right-in right-out only, which would conflict with the train if it was alongside the sidewalk.

Pedestrians won't have to run across traffic to go to the vehicle though. It will only stop at stations where a platform will be built in the middle of the road, with one end of the platform being at a signalized intersection with crosswalk. The platforms will have divider walls (mostly glass with metal railings) keeping them separate from the traffic, so you won't feel like cars are zipping by while on the platform.
(03-24-2015, 01:52 PM)zanate Wrote: [Image: xfVCGM8.jpg]

[Image: AMHmNbm.jpg]
This is no less than a giant middle finger to anybody who has trouble using stairs. WTF?
(03-24-2015, 06:26 PM)kwliving Wrote: This is no less than a giant middle finger to anybody who has trouble using stairs. WTF?

It is no change from the existing conditions. Nothing could be done in the public right-of-way to change that. I presume the school already has functional accommodations for level access.
(03-24-2015, 06:38 PM)Markster Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 06:26 PM)kwliving Wrote: This is no less than a giant middle finger to anybody who has trouble using stairs. WTF?

It is no change from the existing conditions. Nothing could be done in the public right-of-way to change that. I presume the school already has functional accommodations for level access.

As a KCI alumnus I can assure you they do. Multiple entrances exist with level access, including near the light by the Central Fresh crossing. This is simply the grand formal entrance, which gets less average usage than most of the others.

That's a relief! I was picturing stairs like the set on the green street side built up tight against the building. I might go as far as saying that it will look better then it does now. I am. Now 100% supportive of the ion (before I was 97% supportive) Thanks for sharing Zanate.
(03-24-2015, 01:52 PM)zanate Wrote: The end result doesn't look too bad to me.  (Source)

[Image: xfVCGM8.jpg]

[Image: AMHmNbm.jpg]

I like this a lot!  Frames the statue very well.
(03-24-2015, 06:38 PM)Markster Wrote:

Nothing could be done? There are two staircases and several meters of space on both sides as well as the middle.

It's insulting to me that excuses are still made for not improving accessibility when changes are made. Why should someone in a wheelchair have to settle for a "you can already use the back door" excuse. Whenever changes are made accessibility should be prioritized.

In this case, the driveway is steep and ill maintained so it makes a lot of sense to make the area more accessible. There is ample room to ramp to the level of base of the entrance stairs. Why? That would be a lot safer than the driveway as well as more inclusive and dignified for anyone needing a ramp. It also would say "you are welcome here even if you can't use stairs."
Accommodation should be provided where it reasonably can.

First, I said "in the public right-of-way" because this is a roadworks project, whose domain does not extend right to the front door of the school. Making that door fully accessible is a larger project that would need involvement with, and likely investment by, the school board.

Second, that's what, a 12 foot, or 15 foot raise? Ramps generally require a 1:12 ratio for the slope. That means a 144-180 foot long ramp. That is just shy of the distance of simply going all the way to the existing side door. Never mind that the side door in question is already closer to the bus stop.

Accessibility should always be considered, but one cannot always expect full accessibility in all things at all times.
You are asking for a monumental reconfiguration of the school's historical front steps for a ramp that would be of limited functional use.
Well put Markster!
(03-25-2015, 03:20 PM)Markster Wrote: Accommodation should be provided where it reasonably can... Accessibility should always be considered, but one cannot always expect full accessibility in all things at all times.
You are asking for a monumental reconfiguration of the school's historical front steps for a ramp that would be of limited functional use.
Neither Google nor http://kci.wrdsb.ca/ Search provide any results for keywords like accessible or wheelchair. That in itself is damning.

Is KCI accessible at all to those who have mobility issues? And if not, why not?

Nevertheless as others have said, it may not be practical to make the school accessible via this entrance. But that shouldn't be used as an excuse to not make the property accessible in some other way.

KevinL has already answered the question of "Is KCI accessible?"
(03-24-2015, 08:37 PM)KevinL Wrote: As a KCI alumnus I can assure you they do. Multiple entrances exist with level access, including near the light by the Central Fresh crossing. This is simply the grand formal entrance, which gets less average usage than most of the others.
(03-25-2015, 03:51 PM)Markster Wrote: KevinL has already answered the question of "Is KCI accessible?"
Thank you. I missed that in the flurry of posts yesterday. (I too am an alumnus of then-KWCVS.)

Still, it's incredible that KCI's website seems to lack this vital bit of information, especially in the Contact Information section that's at the bottom of every page. Are they not expecting any mobility-challenged visitors (let alone parents, students or teachers?)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »