Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
At the same time, engineers are often completely oblivious about factors they aren't directly concerned with. It's ultimately a management issue concerning integrating necessary stakeholders early enough in the design process.

We generally know all the factors. You have to make decisions about which ones trump others, what your budgets or constraints allow, and then move forward - often knowing that someone won't be happy with the end result.

What, for example, could designers possibly do at the corner of Queen/Charles? There is literally no practical solution there.
I was at City Café today.  Spoke with the construction workers.  They advised that the embedded rails at Ottawa onto Charles will be poured on Tuesday.
(10-28-2016, 12:12 PM)Canard Wrote: We generally know all the factors. You have to make decisions about which ones trump others, what your budgets or constraints allow, and then move forward - often knowing that someone won't be happy with the end result.

What, for example, could designers possibly do at the corner of Queen/Charles? There is literally no practical solution there.

They could have done exactly the same thing that was done at Queen and Duke, square off the corner, as described here:

http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2016/09/19/thi...oo-region/

It is practical to reduce the turning radius (prioritize pedestrians over trucks) on a one of the busiest pedestrian intersections in the city.
(10-28-2016, 12:00 PM)Canard Wrote: If there's one thing I've learned over my 15 year career as a designer it's that no matter what you do, someone's going to be pissed off at you

[Image: workflow.png]
Concrete poured today for the embedded track in uptown waterloo from the HSBC down to the Gospel Light shop. Based on the forms in looks like they will pour down to the Works restaurant by end of day.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
1/3 - Friday, October 28, 2016

Thanks to a tip from Tom Galloway on Twitter, I rushed home after work and jumped on my bike to head up to UpTown Waterloo, before things got too late tonight.

Progress is being made here!

This guy looks like he's having fun.  Smile

These guys reminded me of the folks who bring in the giant flag at the beginning of the Olympics.

2/3 - Friday, October 28, 2016

Some minor rework at King/William.

Platform edge rework at Allen.  The forms are built differently, now - anchored at frequent intervals to the existing concrete, with threaded adjusters for fine positioning.

Crossover components are now being roughly laid out at KCI.

I imagine once the guys are done down at the crossover at Cameron Heights, they'll move over here.
3/3 - Friday, October 28, 2016

KCI Crossover, continued...

Looks like there are some footers under those orange tarps at the King St. Grade Separation - there was definitely some topside infra going in, despite the presence of some big wastewater pipes over there on the right.

Thanks to Tom Galloway for the tip to use the McDonald's staircase/entrance to get some of these shots!
The LRT train signals were on today between Bearinger Road and University.
Duke and Water has reopened
Overnight LRT work possible in several areas

All good news!
I saw this weird looking structures on King St in Uptown,  near the LCBO. I have no idea what's their purpose

It's a planter system, designed to give trees ample space to spread their roots out under the sidewalk.
Is it mainly to prevent soil compaction?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »